Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by FATWEASEL, Feb 15, 2007.

1. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Any of you guys put extended warranties on your equipment...either handhelds or mowers?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

unless its cheap to begin with I wouldn't worry about extended warranty. All of my commercial equipment has held together fine through the years without any problems other than maintnance.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, mainly because even with the regular warranty, anytime something breaks / goes wrong, I have to see about getting it fixed myself anyhow.

Because during peak of season there is NO way I'm dropping off my mower and hope it's done anytime soon, especially not until I've at least had a good look into it... And even during slower times, it tends to get pretty outrageous sometimes.
    It could end up taking three months or longer, I am not joking, I done been through this.

So, I learned: If it breaks, fix it (or at least check it out real good).
    If I absolutely can't fix it, then I'll take it in...

But at that point I'm beyond caring whether it's under warranty or not lol.
    There's just not that much that could go wrong, other than BIG stuff like engines or trannies...
    And for 200-500 I can get either of those, the Tecumseh's are not that hard to rebuild, they're just time consuming.
    The engine, I'm getting ready to replace my first one, by myself.

I think in some ways dealers would expect this of us...
    They know they're not selling us garbage, now if there exists a serious mfg defect then ok.
    Maybe, maybe for the very first machine, as extra insurance...
    But by the time I bought my first new one, I had a full 3 years behind me, so I didn't need it.

4. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

No extended warranties here,Most commercial equipment is limited on regular warranty 90 days etc.On extended you still have to pay on the labor end on most and doesn't justify the added expense.

5. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is one of those times that I really believe in having a "dealer" I do business with. Sure you can take your Scag, eXmak, or other brand to a dealer who sells and services that brand of equipment ... but if you shop around other dealers for maybe a little better price with the intention of using your local guy for service work ... you may pay for it in the end.

If your dealer knows that most of the stuff you run comes from his shop, and he services most of the stuff when you have problems ... well ... he is going to be there for you. All of this ... and not to mention a loaner that your regular dealer will give you to use so there is no downtime. At least my dealer does ... and I would imagine most dealers do have loaners for their regular customers.

This is why I feel it's important to have a good dealer. With all the top brand mowers as close as they are in quality ... if your local Scag dealer is way to high ... shop your eXmark dealer, you Hustler dealer, JD, Toro, Gravely, Dixie Chopper ... etc. You will find one that is willing to be a business partner with you. Remember, they are a local business man too (at least mine are).

6. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Dang ... I didn't even answer the question in the post! No ... I do not purchase the extended warranty. My dealer always makes sure I am taken care of, my stuff is fixed, and I am always working. He knows that when I buy new equipment that I am coming to him for my needs.

7. FATWEASEL

from NC

:confused: 90 days??? I don't have a single piece of equipment that doesn't have at least a 2 year parts AND labor commercial warranty.

If you buy residential stuff and use it commercially, 90 days is probably the case.

My dealer knows that I'm coming to him as well and he also provides me with a loaner if I need one but that has nothing to do with your equipment once it's out of warranty.

I'm a solo operator with a full time job. So until I decide to jump in full time there's a good chance that my equipment will outlast the warranty. I'm sure there are plenty of others in the same boat. That said, several of the dealers in my area offer FAIL-SAFE extended warranties but the ones I looked at appeared to be very reasonable for what you got.

For example, one of my dealers quoted me on a 'GOLD' warranty. It included basically bumper to bumper except wearables like belts, blades, filters, etc..., NO deductible, and added two additional years or 2000 hours, parts AND labor, to the manufacturers warranty (engine included) for 6% of the sale price. So on a $5000 mower, it would add $300.

I look for good deals on my equipment. I know that extended warranties are a shot in the dark and I hardly EVER buy one on other purchases but considering the environment and the jobs that the equipment is required to do, that seemed like a pretty good deal for peace of mind.

I'm not saying its for everybody, just wondering if anybody else used them.

Andy:)

8. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

No Residential crap here! Sounds like you just got the handle on it and the dealership in your hand. Good for you.Not bad for a newbee. Sorry for my two cents I take it back here's your change.:cool2:

9. FATWEASEL

from NC

Something's cooking, smells like sarcasm.:laugh: Sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest YOU buy "residential crap". "You" was meant as a general term as in 'people'. I just have not seen commercial stuff with less than at least a one year parts and labor warranty.

There's your two cents back!:usflag:

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

is good enough for me... all stuff 2 years, mowers 3....