1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Extended Warrantys

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by DanaMac, Dec 4, 2002.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Do any of you offer an extended warranty on your installs? I know a few guys who do it. They give the usual 1-2 year warranty, and then offer an extended one. I think they base it on a percentage of the install price. Not sure of all the details on it.

Maybe you could include service check ups, start ups, and winterizing with these somehow.
  2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Find out what they % or method for the charge. I don't think that 10% of current value would be too much for 2 time per year service including repair parts and teh occasional job that may need more than 2 visits.
  3. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

one year labor / three years parts
  4. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I will only warranty what the manufacturer of the main components suggests. I install to the recommended guidelines, plus a few extra steps I throw in to protect my butt.
    If the customer wants more, I figure out what an anticipated return trip would cost, multiply by three, then give the customer an additional warranty not to exceed one year.
    This does not cover parts, pipe or fittings - just my labor.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

What I'm trying to get at with the extended warranty, is that we might be able to collect more money and possibly do no additional work.

Say a system costs $3000. You give your normal 1 year warranty on all parts and labor (some of you may give more than one year). At the time of sale you can sell and additional 1-3 year warranty for XXX amount of dollars. More than anything, you are selling your labor if something goes wrong because most manufacturers give a 2-5 year warranty on the major components. So if something goes wrong, you still get the parts replaced.

And if you installed the system like you should :) the installation end of it should not have any problems.

It's the same as any auto extended warranty. It's an insurance policy that may make the consumer feel more secure and more $$$ in our pocket.

You could also add more $$ and incorporate the start up and shut down into the extended warranty package. I blow out the system the first fall after installation with any new install. This prevents anyone from trying to screw me around. It is just added into the price of the install and most times the consumer doesn't realize it.
  6. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

sounds good to me, i like the idea. just charge like 5% or something per year. that would be 150 for that 3000 job. I think you could pay for a lot if something happend the third year. you would have collected 300 for the 2 extended years. sounds good to me..

7. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Personally, I have never bought an extended warranty for anything..........I have always felt that if an extended warranty is available, the product and/or service will easily last for that length of time.

that being said, you could raise that 3000 system to say 3500 and include a 5 year warranty with the stipulation that YOU must be hired to start up and shut down the system each year. Heck, you could even expand that to 10 years.........
  8. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

This is also a good idea, but, you are automatically raising the cost of the system. This might be just enouggh to not sell trhe entire system. AT least with the other idea they have the ability to choose to spend more or not.