1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

extended warrenty

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AI Inc, Mar 3, 2008.

1. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If you were to offer an extended warrenty , how much per zone per yr would you charge?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on parameters of the system. Likely a % of original part cost plus money for time on site directly proportional to failure likelihood given water quality (cleanliness, pressure etc...) while considering the chance that a doofus h/o is going to break something and blame it on the system. All this, only if I put it in and serviced up until this "extension" started.
  3. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone here try to sell one? I never have before but looking for new ways to increase profits.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There's a Catch-22 here. A system that needs an extended warranty is one I wouldn't offer one to.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I know of one company here that does it. They even sell one for existing systems they maintain that they DID NOT install. It does include a fall blow out I believe. Unfortunately I do not know what they charge.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Even if it puts more money in your pocket for minimal work? I agree though. I hate BUYING extended warranties and never have actually - trucks, computers, appliances, etc.

Most failing parts are going to be heads, valves, and timers. Most now come with a 3-5 warranty, but you should be able to charge for labor. But, some people like to buy them.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Ya know what got me thinking about it is I was buying the wife a new truck this weekend.I too always pass on the warrenty. Ive never been an insurance kinda guy and thats what a warrenty is.
    Most systems ive installed on clean water seem to have no parts used during spring start up ( besides snowplow damage) for 7-8 yrs. So kinda see it as money for nothing. Although I have absolutly no clue on what to charge. I guess the old adage , as much as they will pay.
  8. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

I read somewhere that the sales commision on extended warranties in in the neighborhood of 50%.
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I think one of the reasons Ive never done it in the past is the PITA come billing time of having to look up who has a warrenty and for how long ect.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Most commercial managers are cheapskates...I always wondered why, it's not out
    of their pocket...wrong, a big box manager told me the landscape management budget
    is part of his operating costs, which determine his bonus at the end of the year.!:dizzy: The only extended warranty I ever bought was a "spill
    protection" warranty for my (second) new laptop!:cry: