Extending trailer.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Dec 26, 2000.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 6x12 drop gate trailer. When I try to load both of my walk behinds, I'm about 1 foot short of closing the gate. Is there an easy way of extending the length of the trailer by this much? I hate to buy a new trailer because this one is still in new cond. Thanks for any help.

2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Put them in at angles, we have a 16footer we put 2 Walkermowers and 1 walkbehind mower without tilting any of the decks up, we also have tool box and other stuff in between all open spaces. If you are looking at trailer put your mowes in like ( // ) instead of( -- )you will have the room by angling them.

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Experiment with different ways to load them. You should be able to get 2 walkbehinds on a 12 foot trailer.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I used to put 2 Dixie Choppers on a 12' trailer. There has to be a way to get two walk behinds on that. I guess I didn't realize a W/B was bigger than a ZTR.

5. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

If all tries at different loading methods fail try cutting the loading gate. I have seen this on a few trailers, the hadle of the walk behind is left out.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Try backing them both in then your handles
    are not taking space..TM COUNTRY

7. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Try loading them on backwards, or put them on sideways if you can maneuver them. If you don't have tall sides, it shouldn't be a problem to put them on sideways.

If not, and all else fails, you can have a welder extend your rear out a foot or two. I'd have to see it to tell you if it would mess up the balance on your axle and toungue, but you should be okay. Really shouldn't have a problem though??

Good Luck!

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You must be doing something seriously wrong TJLC. I currently carry a 50" and a 36" on my 6X12 and I have room for another 36" if desired.

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

If it is just extra room for the handles to stick out the back, you can modify the gate.

My gates were all held on by "arms" that held them in the upright posisition. I made longer arms out of standard flat stock, by simply drillind the holes in them for the pins.

Your gate will look like this _____/ instead of _____]

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I have a 36, 48, push blower, 21 incher and room enough for a green barrell and I have sides on my 12'. Although mine is 6.5 and not 6 wide I can get the mowers closer togetherwith one in the right front, and the second in the left rear the front wheels are nextt to the rear on the other mower. That extra 6 inches may not allow you to do that ?