Extension Service Courses

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Bryn, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Moderator please leave this thread here as most of the people here are licensed and can offer a better opinion than other ares of this board. Thanks

The University of TN extension service in Nashville is looking to offer more appropriate courses in horticulture, which we would also get credit for. The question I was asked by the extension service is what I and others would like to see offered. I thought as this section of the board tends to see more in depth discussion I would ask you guys/gals.

So what courses would you like to see offered by your extension service that would better your knowledge. The courses could be a half or full day, or some would even extend to two or more days. I suggested a simple course covering the basic use of a hand lens, and hands on experience with insect, and weed identification in turf using the lens.

Any suggestions

2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Having been an extension agent for several years and now the owner of an LC Company, I dont' know that the answer lies with Extnesion.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta disagree with EG for once. Education, in most areas, is a response to what the specific trade or industry needs its members, especially new employees, to know. The needs come first, the education follows.

Continuing education is driven by the members of the trade wishing to improve themselves, especially the outcome of their work. No matter what the educators present, if there is no trade interest in improvement, there will be no use for the education. That is why educators in functional subject areas will be in direct contact with the trade or industry they are educating for.

But don't ask me what drives philosophers and mathemeticians...................

Will think on your question, Bryn.
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

The local extension service in our area offers courses every winter. I found to go this year. They brought in people from the university and private industry.
    Topics covered were pruning, plant selection, new plants, lawn diseases, and insect control. I thought they were useful and will try to attend next year. Plus it is a good opportunity to network.
  5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

I only say what I say becuase in my areas, Extension may not be responding to the needs of the industry. I agree with you, the needs of the people should determine the educational programming, but sometimes that is not the case, especially for us "fert and squirt" folks, a trade which often receives a poor opinion from some.

6. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Living and working in TN, I have a personal interest in what you are asking for. Having lived in Georgia for 5 years, I can see how informative an extension service can be. There they have what they refer to as a "Hort Fax". It is simply a service that you can sign up for, free of charge, where you are put on a call list for any updates or epidemics that are currently happening in the area. You would always get something when a disease has been diagnosed and if it was considered to be a serious potential threat. The same goes for water restrictions or insect bulletins. There educational seminars were very informative and not just the same old boring programs. One class I still use today was on "Tree Risk Assesment".
    In my mind, the TDA and their educational forums are behind the times. Especially in my area, Knoxville, you would think that the state's main University would have better educational seminars. Not the case! Therefore I believe that they should contact their list of Charter companies and ask each of them for their input. Atleast this would be more involved that going on their own. If you ask several UT professors, they will tell you over and over again how they provide TDA with as much current info as they can and yet TDA decides on their own what to distribute and test on.
    For those of you outside of TN, I believe TN is the most difficult state to be a licensed chemical applicator, whether it is in the landscape or turf. In TN you have to pay $150 to take the license exam, yet the certification exam is only $15. Yet once you receive your license, you have to turn around and pay $400 every 2 years to get your Charter. Then pay $60 per year to keep your license, and then fees for each of your technicians and soliciteers. On top of that, if you install plants or plant grass you have to pay $200 per year to have a plant distributor's certificate. Basically you are spending $460 per year every year for yourself to be legal. That's not counting if you have employees that need to be able to spray. I have experience in NC and GA, and neither are like that, maybe $35-50 per year.
    Sorry if I am ranting :blob3: ...... I just feel as though TDA just sucks you dry and is always asking for more! :realmad: