1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Extensive Benificial Microbe list?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Extensive Beneficial Microbe list?

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has put together a list of beneficial microbes and what each ones supposed roll is? I am about to search each of whats in Bills 123 CT and document what each does, but I am sure there are more 'good' microbes than that, and hope that someone has already done the work. I searched but didn't really find anything. Thanks.
  2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

from what I understand Bills is just the tip of the iceberg.
  3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

there are 4000 plus micro herd, how many life times are you going to devote to this???? i will see what i can dig up.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

LOL, that seems to be about the number I had in mind.
  5. JDUtah

from UT

Haha, well I have done 8 out of 4,000????? Woot, I'm on a role!

I am finding though that forcing me to read the actual study articles is getting me more familiar with the foriegn terminology. That might be the best benifit from this ambition. I won't say no to any lists you may have though. ;)
  6. treegal1

YES I ..... asap, you will share yes???
  7. JDUtah

from UT

well it's crude but so far...

Bacillus Subtilis
    a natural fungicidal activity, and is employed as a biological control agent

Bacillus Licheniformis
    Can breakdown complex protiens (Breakdown other plant matter and release it as food?)

Bacillus polymyxo
    Can fix nitrogen (N2) in the air and convert it into usable compounds (Ammonia, nitrate, etc.)

Bacillus azotoformons
    Can anarobically breakdown nitrogen enzymes and release them for plants. (denitrifying)

Glomus aggregatum
    An arbuscular mycorrhiza- a fungus whose spores ingrain in the root cells of a plant and help it absorb nutriants and water

Glomus clarum
    vesicular-arbuscular mycorrhizal- spores ingrain in root cells and help them absorb nutrients/water

Glamus deserticola
    Helps protect the plant from salt. Also grows and collects N and P

Glomus intraradices
    Helps plant absorb Phosphorus

Glomus monosporus
    Helps plant to grow and absorb Phosphoprus

Glomus mosseae
    In P-fertilized plots, inoculation with AEGlomus mosseae increased the harvest index based on dry weight (+20%) and N content of seeds (+17%), the A value (+31%) and %N derived from fixation (+75%).

Trichoderma harzianum
    Fungus used as a fungicide via foliar application

Trichoderma viride
    Fungus used as a fungicide

pisolithus tinctorius
    Forms a beneficial mycorrhizae

'Sorry for the typos'
  8. treegal1

3000+ to go , good work, just need some more details
  9. JDUtah

from UT

Haha, hense the word 'extensive'?

I would love to look up more but that's all the list I have so far, if anyone wants to post more I will do some reading.
  10. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

We have our product DNA sequenced to prove what we say is in there is in there for State regulator people. Microcheck that does it for us says that they have 250,000+ bacteria in their database. But fungi cannot be sequenced it has to be observered by a mycologist that has too classify it.

I'm glad, I think, that I am not a mycologist

thanks for the breakdown, here are the basics you need good chewers or decomposers to breakdown nutrients and provide them in the form plants like to eat, you need some great mycorrhizae to create a great root system, you need the good guys that fight off pathogens to keep the area free from disease and you need some great symbionts for the mycorrhizae (they work better) and then we add some sleepers that we can trigger enzyme production this way or that to protect the soil from opportunists.

For instance Bacillus Subtillus is a great enzyme producer, when it is triggered by chitin, it produces an enzyme, chitonase, that basically melts anything that get within the rhizosphere with chitin in its body. lets see what has chitin in its body, its in my fingernails but grubs and root feeding nematodes have it too. Bye Bye grubs

You could actually have a great stand of turf if you just kept the disease part out