Extensive Rehab SuperZ

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rvaitor, May 2, 2007.

1. rvaitor

rvaitor LawnSite Member

Well,

I bought a used 04/05 SuperZ that needs some work. Engine had a knock Kaw 25 so am rebuilding that. I've pulled the deck out and want to go through that and get it serviced up. Plan to do the mod(opening up the chute and changing the blades). How do you check these idlers, spindles to see if they need replacing or do you rebuild those?

Changing the hydraulic fluid and all the filters. Plan to do some priming and painting the bare spots and generally get it back up and ready for duty(which in my case will be relatively light).

Appreciate any help on what to check/do while I've got it apart.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Spin the bearings and see what they feel / sound like.

3. rvaitor

rvaitor LawnSite Member

I've done that and not sure what bad sounds like -- are the spindle bearings replacable or do you have to replace the complete assembly.

Which are the pulleys that have been discussed as needing fairly frequent replacement?

Thanks again,

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will hear a sandy or gritty noise and have resistance when spinning the bearings if they are bad.
    The spindle bearings are replaceable, you do not need to replace the entire assembly.
    There are no pulleys that need "fairly frequent replacement", the idler pulleys that some are having / had issues with (in the past) are the flat sided idlers on the deck.
    I personally know of a 2001 Hustler Z about 15 minutes from my house that has 2200 hours on it (when serviced by dealer over winter), it was used commercially for about 1700 of those hours and by a large acreage home owner the rest, it has not had a single bearing replaced in it.

Pj