? Exterior Pest Control Equipment ?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Oct 23, 2009.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Curious as to what y'all use to do your exterior pest control applications?

I have a 6 gallon sprayer I pull around, but am tired of:
    .....* frequent refills
    .....* limited pressure (I struggle to get to the top of some 2-story homes)
    .....* extended time required for good coverage (due to psi).

I'm considering just upgrading to a 50 gallon skid sprayer with a JD-9, but am wondering if I'll regret having to pull a hose around every building I treat.

Sooooo, what are your methods? Or what have you tried that was a mistake?

Thanks, all!

2. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Are you shooting the eaves of houses on every visit, or just as warranted? You could use a engine driven backpack sprayer-that would more than get you the distance, but is limited to 5 gallons & heavy to use on every property.

Skids w/ hoses are nice, but dragging hoses is no fun & risk knocking over & breaking stuff in peoples lawns & beds if not careful:cry:

3. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

We use 4 gallon back packs. If eves are your problem use web brushs and dust them with delta dust works wonders. You also said filling was an issue go at a higher rate lower volume of water. This has worked well for us and we have been at it for over 40 years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Whooped.

A Cheap Bilge pump from wally world with a momentary button in a 25 or 50 gallon fresh water tank works great for refilling and is faster than a faucet. It also doubles as a hand wash. I like it because I can mix at the truck.

Also look at Air Heads homemade Electric back pack, I have something like it on wheels and can do perimeter spray very quick and complete including eves on a two story. The rechargeable Gel Battery is around $ 23.00 and the shurflo pump is $ 79.00 at Tractor supply. BTW I use a Pressure Washer Gun with the smallest size Quick snap tips. I can change to a zero point tip and spray 40 ft. But an adjustable cone tip on a pesticide wand might work for you.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

Just when doing a wasp spray or boxelder bug spray - neither of which are included in my packages. I sell them as add ons.

I think this solution would be about the same as what I have now...

This is an issue that has kept me from doing it. Everyone here is heavily landscaped around the house, so I'd have to go to the back corner, pull out a pile of hose into the backyard, etc, etc.

But one of the big incentives to having a skid is to have a large-capacity machine that would allow me to do the add-ons sprays while ALSO being capable of drenching pest-laden turf when the need arises.

I already do this as much as possible. On the home's surface, full coverage isn't too tough - but when dousing the perimeter ground, a light mist isn't doing me jack squat. I would like to be able to soak that soil or bark or mulch and walk away KNOWING I created a full moat around the house.

This is close to what I do already. I carry a 60g tank of fresh water with me and fill my backpacks, handcans, and 6g units all from there - so that I can mix-on-site and maximize my ability to react to any given situation, all while minimizing the amount of gear I have to carry around.

I run an adjustable cone tip right now, but I have a non-functional pressure washer out in my barn. That's a great idea. Could help out on everything (but turf-treatments) if I rig it with a quick-connect coupler to switch it out.

I can shoot high enough right now as is, but my stream is so thick that when I have to shoot those high sections, I go through 6g too fast for my taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, all. Any additional feedback is appreciated.

6. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

What are your properties like?

I'm getting into this work next year and I'm looking at mounting a skid on an HUV.

A lot of the properties on this area have expansive front yards. Even if I can't get the HUV through the gate, I can still back up to the gate and not have to fake out as much hose. Also this area can be really steep and I'd rather drive the 4x4 HUV than hump hose, backpacks, and all the rest.

As far as transporting the HUV they're pretty small. A 6'x10 should handle it fine. Weight carrying capacity is decent. The dealer says it can handle a skid in the 150 to 175 gallon range.

With the hitch I could even tow an aerator or something behind it. There's also the possibility of towing a trailer with an additional skid or even a boom on it.

They are a little bit pricey, especially with the diesel engine. That's a drawback. If you're doing a significant number of properties in the country with moderately technical terrain, like my market, it might be something you want to research.

If you do look into one of these let me know what you find, we can brainstorm on this.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/landscape-and-groundcare/products/utility-vehicles/huv4421d-xp-/

husq_huv.jpg

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

5-7k, hilly mountainside terrain. Most are fenced in. And they'd shoot me if I drove one of those on their lawns. :laugh:

Much as I'd love to justify a toy like that with a boom on the back and segway into larger commercial properties, that'll have to wait until I'm running employees and not just a solo operator.

8. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahh, I see. Yeah I'd likely put turf tires on it. I'd buy something like that for the 8 acre plus country homes. Folks buy homes in the country and don't want any of the stuff that comes with living in the country.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

My properties average 30K or more not to mention the commercial sites so what I use wouldn't really work for you.
    I have a Lesco 50 gallon skid sprayer which has worked alright but pulling all that hose really sucks when it is 110*F and humid.
    I am currently looking for a 200 gallon ride on unit with a hose reel/boom set-up as this will allow a more time efficient manner of applying the liquid fert or any pesticide.
    I am fortunate in that all of the properties I maintain have extremely small gated rear yards but those damned front yards are killing me.
    In fact I am off to spray two yards this morning and I am really not looking forward to wrestling a 1/2" 300' hose - I wish I had that ride on unit.
    Hanau, the one thing I do have already is a Club Car 272 ute with an 1800lb carrying capacity - my 50 gallon tank fits in the back real well.
    I had considered a boom arrangement but consistent ground speed is a problem with calibration - do you or anyone else know of a governor arrangement I can install?

10. whoopassonthebluegrass

I'm content with my turf application methods; just looking to be more efficient with my pest control, as that's an area I plan to pursue more aggressively.

What? You didn't buy the model with cruise control? :laugh: