External to Internal vented carb swap on a Kawasaki

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stetsonh20, May 8, 2008.

1. stetsonh20

stetsonh20 LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a question...I have a Country Clipper with a 19 hp Kawasaki FH601V with an externally vented carb. The fuel shut off solenoid has gone bad. I can buy a good used internally vented carb(whole) for the same price as the fuel shut off solenoid for my externally vented carb. Other than different air filters, is this an easy swap? I have been told that the internally vented carbs are better than the externally vented carbs. Any ideas or advice? Thanks.

2. stetsonh20

update... I contaced Kawasaki about this question and was extremely dissapointed. The rep would not answer any of the questions citing a contract agreement with the dealer network. The dealer told me to call the number because they did not know the answer! This is as far from customer service as a company can get. Very dissapointed in Kawasaki. Back on the subject-does anyone know where I can find some info on this? I have the number from the internally vented carb. I dont see why it would not work if the correct air filter was used, but the carb does look different from the one that I have now. Any info would be appreciated!

3. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

You need to talk to a dealer.
    Some carbs are not "swapable".

You can, however, do whatever you want.
    If you purchase the carb and it doesn't work, don't expect to get your money refunded.

4. stetsonh20

I talked to the dealer BEFORE calling the number. The dealer did not know, that is why I was told to contact Kawasaki. I would have thought that being able to produce all of the neccesary numbers on each carb, they could have told me quite easily if they were interchangeable or not...I guess I am surprised at either the lack of knowledge from my dealer, or the lack of caring from Kawasaki. Anyway, I am going to research this some more, any help is appreciated.

5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Go to another dealer. When I was a dealer I seem to remember something about which carbs swap with what.

Maybe your local dealer is just lazy.
    Kawasaki can't tell you on the phone, because you are not a dealer. They can tell their dealers because they are covered by liability insurance. If they tell you and something goes wrong, there is a potential lawsuit (which they are avoiding by not telling you). So it's not that they don't care, they just don't want to go out of business.