1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

extra $400.00 worth it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deereman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

We will be purchasing a Deere 737 or a 757 with a 54" deck. My question is this, is it worth the extra $400.00 to go with the 757 w/ the 25hp or is the 737 w/ the 23hp enough power. Any help would help me , make my decision a little easier. We do have some steep hills that we currently ran our old ZTR and that was way under power, as that was just a 18hp. It seemed the hill just killed my power. It is a long hill. Any who lets hear what you got to say. Thank you....... :)
  2. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I bought a 737 2 years ago and have never had a problem with it being under powered. I have some very step hills it has handled them all. Does better going up hill, not enough control going down steep slopes.
  3. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

The 23 is adequate but I'm a more is better type. I still think its too bad they don't offer the bigger efi engine on these yet.If cheap is what your after, the 23 will do, as they even put a 60" with this engine.
  4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I always thought that 23 HP on a 52 or 54 inch deck was plenty. But now I think a little different. Get all the HP that you can afford. You won't regret it. My next mower will be a Hustler Super Z with at least 27 HP...more if I can get it.
  5. Updog

Updog LawnSite Member

I have never thought " I think I have too much horsepower." I have been on the other side though.
  6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought a 27 hp Lazer and there have already been times that I wished I'd bought a 28 or stronger. Some of this clover we get down here is rough on a mower!

Bigger is better when it comes to HP.
  7. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

look at this way ,more hp makes you more efferent ,thus making you more money .with in a month you'll make that 400 back being able to cut more lawns
  8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

Thanks for all your inputs. I was thinking that the bigger one was prob. the one that I was going to get. What do you do for a trailer hitch? I use a pull type aerator, as well a pull type fert spreader. I see that these have no hitch.I really dont want to use my tractors as I like to use a ZTR for those applications. ;)