Extra 96 gal trash containers at your residence for LCO use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

You may have seen the other threads I started on mulching, side discharge etc., yet I need to face the fact that some bagging will occur. I really want to avoid the wasted gas and time going to the dumps green pile.

For starters it's not illegal to dump clippings in the trash here and I called today and found out that it will cost me $14.50 extra every month to have an additional 2 of these at my residence. This may in fact do the trick for my clippings disposal. That's an extra 192 gallons of capacity every week for less than $3.70 a week.

2 of these will also fit nicely side by side in my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer so I can take them with me. I was considering using 4 32/33 gallon trash cans but in reality the 96 gallon ones are more space efficient since they are closer to a square shape. 4 x 32 = 128 vs. 2 96's @ 192 and it takes up less floor space in the trailer.

The other option is to bag clippings and leave them near my current 96 gal. trash bin and be charged $0.75 for each 32 gallon per week. Just 5 extra trash bags per week would more than pay for the 2 extra containers and that's based on a 4 week month. Some are 5 week months.

** Side note ** I was also considering rigging up a few self supporting pvc pipe aerators for the large 96 gallon cans that way the cliping can slowly dry out, clippings are 75% to 85% water thus allowing more clippings to be added to the trash can possibly eliminating the need for any trips to the dump.

No thats NOT a picture of anyone I know :laugh: found in on the net.

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

If you are going to bag every lawn then 2 more of the big cans will not be enough. I have bagged my own yard (less than 1/4 acre) before, and almost filled up one of those cans.
    You see, this is why almost no one wants to bag. Too much clippings to deal with. One lawn will produce a big pile of clippings.
    You should think about mulching with some Gator blades.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

We us 6'x 6' burlap squares they fold up when not in use. They lay flat on the ground easy to load up. Then tie the opposing corners and toss them into the truck you get at least 6-8 uses before they get too funky or ripped up to use again. They are the standard around here most everyone bags. But if that little dumpster works for you I guess that is simple. It just wouldn't last through a house or two for us.
  4. wooley99

wooley99 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can't mulch it do you have the yard space to compost the stuff? You'll fill up those curb bins pretty quick with spring grass.
  5. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I keep one of these in my enclosed trailer for things that tear up trash bags. I have tried to put clippings in it before, but it holds only one load from my walker.
  6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Customers that want it bagged get it bagged. Then, they put it out with the rest of their trash on pickup day. Grits, you almost filled one of those on a 1/4 acre? That's crazy top growth. Cut down on your nitro or something. More scu, something. try some growth inhibitor. That is way to much for a 1/4 acre, even in the spring.
  7. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Are those burlap squares roughly 30 gallons or so in volume? That seems like a better option than plastic bags. Where do you find the burlap and how much?

I have every intention of mulching and/or side discharge. I have gators for my Quick 36 and my Toro 21" does a pretty decent job of mulching. I just haven't used the Quick so I don't know how it will handle mulching.

I am planning on charging more for bagging unless the client lets me leave the clippings in their trash. Double cutting takes more time than emptying a bag etc. Many people here still want their lawns bagged. I anticipate 15% to 25% of my new 2008 clients will insist on bagging. That's about what it was for 2007. Bagging the bigger 1.5 to 2 acre lots will not happen with me. That will fill up my entire 6 x 12 trailer with spring growth.

If you have seen my other thread I've been wrestling with the side discharge mulching issue.

We live on a small lot but if I had space I would just dump on my property - thin out with a BR 600 and do some shallow Rototilling into the soil problem solved.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You know what I've heard done before is put the mulching blades and the OCDC on then the bagger over that :laugh:

The best way I've handled some to most of them is wait until the day they're not home, then do a superb job with OUT bagging.
    Ooops, I just forgot.
    Then, so long I get no complaints, keep on doing it that way.
    Months later when eventually confronted, play kinda dumb.
  9. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Too funny! (good idea, too)
  10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I've ran my Toro 21 SR with the rear bagger on AS WELL AS the side-discharge chute. Whatever does not get bagged...gets discharged. :D :rolleyes: :waving: