Extra Charge For High Grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

extra charge for high grass? most of my customers are on a ala cart type billing system, which means we bill at the end of each month for what we did that month. now, i was forced to miss one week for personal reasons, then the following week it rained for 5 days, when i finally got back on track, the lawns were real high and needed to go over them 2 to 3 times to get them looking good, i charged extra for this. most customers didnt even question it, some called and complained. they said its not their fault it rained, i said it is not my fault either, but it is their lawn and i must charge accordingly for the extra work. i only charge 1.5 times the regular price, for 2-3 times as much work. just wondering what u guys think. thanx, BOB

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

bobby its your bussiness, you set the prices, most will understand, but you will have some who bicker.

personly i don't allow for the lawn to get that high, if i see its gunna rain for 5 days, i see myself getting wet for 5 straight days.
    ok you did charge extra. 1.5 per cut so a $20 lawn would of been $30 you lost $10 a lawn on every $20 lawn for those 2 weeks. what i'm saying is you could have cut the lawns 2 times in the time you cut it once $40- 2 cuts,,,, $30- for 1 because of height in same time period.

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

One week was for personal reasons, were they responsible for that too? I wouldn't charge my regular customers extra because it rained and especially if I was the one that was behind.

I would however stick it to a new customer or one that tends to wait til it gets that high to call me. That becomes their fault.

My opinion, couldn't-wouldn't-shouldn't:mad:

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I don't charge extra either. It just doesn't feel right, but it's your company - you set the rules.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

bob--one week your fault, one week wasn't. it kinda cancels out to me. I'm assuming that you charge by the cut and bill monthly.

I have been in your shoes before and didn't charge extra. HOWEVER, I would gladly charge extra if it was the customers preference/fault that the grass got out of hand.

GEO

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

im kinda with the previous posters.
    if the problem was my doing i cover it. if they were the problem they pay. in your case my cocern would be that they tolerate my not being there. most are pretty understanding.

7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Single cuts on customers who let their lawn get too tall get a price that could be twice as much as a regular cut. If it's my fault the lawns got so tall then I try to bust butt rain or shin to catch up. Hard to charge more.

8. If the customer tells you to skip a week or something like that and you have to work doubly hard the next week, give em' a nice big bill. However, if it's due to a mistake on your end, you've got to eat the loss. As for rain, that's a mixed bag.

9. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

Personally,I'd consider you lucky just because they weren't angry at you for missing a week.I wouldn't have charged extra...but,like everyone else said,it's YOUR company,run it the way you want.(don't get me wrong,I can also understand how you feel about this too).

10. alfabetsoop

alfabetsoop LawnSite Member

I'm not an LCO, so I might offer a different perspective. It's not the customer's fault you missed a week because of personal issues, and I'd expect my lawn to be cut sometime during the rainy week. I cut my own with an Exmark Metro, but have a service do the fert etc. I would definately have let my service know I wasn't happy about the extra charge.

But as most others have said, it's your business.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.