Extra Chemical

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, Jul 29, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

If you have extra chemical at the end of the day, where do you dispose of it?

2. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

In the lake next door. LOL that is what your bigger tanks are for then recycled on site locations. I could give you a long answer but recycling on the next job as long as the site is listed on the label.

3. jtrice11

A.T.A.K, sorry but I don't understand? Recycle on site?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

jtrice

There are several way to recycle depending on how much is left in your tank. Pouring it into the river just up stream of the water plant is not one :D

First if you have a Constable bit just reuse it the next day and then re-mix. Sun light is one of the big factor in breaking down most chemicals.

Second might be to Measure what is left and add to it for the next days spraying. Of course only mix enough active ingredients for the additional water.

Third might be just forget what little is left in the tank and re-mix as if you were starting from empty. But this is only when a small percentage is left.

Forth you can spray it out on your own lawn or neighbors lawn and give them a free treatment.

What ever you decision is, will depend on the products being used.

BTW How did you get a license to spray if they didn't teach you how to recycle left over tank mix??? I believe the Tree Hugger could have a field day with some of these question I see here. But keep asking because the only dumb question is one not asked.

5. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

TIMES LIKE THESE ITS NICE TO HAVE BIG COMMERCIAL OR INDUSTRIAL ACCOUNTS. WORSE COMES TO WORSE YOU CAN DO A FREEBIE FOR THEM . MAKES THE PLACE LOOK BETTER AND YOU DONT HAVE TO STORE THE MIX. (IT COULD GO BAD).
    OTHER OPTION IS HAVE WHAT I CALL A "SPOOGE TANK" . PUMP YOUR EXTRA IN THERE FOR STORAGE, THEN ADD A FEW GALLONS EACH TIME YOU MAKE UP A NEW TANKFUL. ( I HAVE PERSONALLY SEEN CHEMLAWNS UPPER SADDLE RIVER ,NJ FACILITIES AND KNOW THEY DO THIS, ALTHOUGH THEY ALSO WASH THE TRUCKS AND USE THE WASHWATER IN THE MIX TOO.) DONT DO THIS WITH A ROUNDUP MIX UNDER ANY CONDITIONS :nono:

6. jtrice11

I remember something on the exam about disposing of chemical and basically all it said was to "dispose of it properly" i.e. not on the street, lakes, rivers, drains...common sense stuff. I've been doing much better estimating how much chemical will be used and when I'm done the tank is usually empty but my understanding is to flush or rinse the tank after each use. Wondering what the hell to do with the rinse?

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

JTrice

How about pumping it into a holding tank like a plastic 55 gallon drum. Then reuse the rinse water. Most people don't rinse their tanks on a daily bases. Most will only rinse and clean a tank when changing over to an other product. If you are only spraying lawns and have but a little herbicide in the tank and plan to not use herbicide on the next round it is not necessary to clean the tank. Only water down the herbicide with the next tank mix. Try using a little common sense when planing your work.

8. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

Unfortunately sometimes companies will figure the amount too close that the guys will run out in the middle of the last lawn. So you know what happens then? Roll up the hose and go home.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

jtrice -

Are you spraying for consecutive days in a row?? Or just one yard, then the material will sit for a month or two??

If you're spraying for days in a row, then there's really no reason to rinse it out at the end of the day.

Only time it would be feasible if you were running a broadleaf herbicide, then had to run some sort of ornamental insecticide where you were spraying the actual foliage.

Even if mine sits for a while, I just run it down on my own lawn and leave the rest alone. I'm always using the same chemical (Momentum) since I have a smaller tank dedicated to "round-up" apps.

Once in a great while I get request for doing other apps such as when I had a Wal-Mart which the trees became infested with Forest Tent Catepillars, so I ran the tank out, (when I had a 200 gallon tank sprayer), filled it up, basically watered my own yard, then filled it up 2 more times and did the same thing.

You have to figure by that time, there's so little chemical left that you're basically just spraying water.

If you're worried about rinsing out your sprayer each day, even though you're going to spray with it again the next day, that's something I wouldn't worry about, just when you're going to shut it down until the next round or a different chemical.

Another reason it's nice having a ride-on unit now, you don't have so much water to go through.

10. jtrice11

When I have a few days in a row that I'm spraying the same checmical (99% of the time Momentum Fx) I don't rinse or flush at the end of the day. But I'm getting requests for additional weed control from customers since the only thing growing right now up here is the damn weeds. Too hot and dry. So I gotta estimate how much I'm gonna need, go do it, then basically wait a few days until someone else calls, then I repeat the process. Its a PITA but I need to keep people happy. its my first year.

I'm going to look for a storage tank, like a 100 gallon plastic tank. I think that's sounds like a great idea. As you mentioned I absolutely need a seperate tank for non-selective herbacides, just can't afford it yet.