extra lighting

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Tim1075, Aug 6, 2000.

1. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Well i was thinking about what i would like to do to my truck when i get it today and since i want to plow with it i was thinking about the extra lights i would like to put on it. I would like to put 4 55 watt halogen lights 2 facing forwards and 2 facing backwards and an amber light in the middle. This would all be mounted on a Back Rack or some type of roll bar. Is this a good idea? Do you guys have any suggestions for me? What type of lights if any and how are they set up on your truck(s)?

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What type of truck, and what year? I give ya some ideas with that info.

Geoff

3. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Geoff i'm only 15 but i was just really bored tonight so i started thinking. But i would like to pick up and '95 or newer ford or dodge 250 350 2500 3500 diesel 4wd no plow on it i want to put a plow on it so its not as beat up when i get it. All suggestion will be appriciated sorry for not being clear the first time thanks.

4. nysnowman

nysnowman LawnSite Member

Tim,just be careful,I bought a 95 ram and the previous owner had wired in an extra pair of plow lights( totaling 4)and it ended up burning out my headlight switch.I run all my extra lights seperate from my headlights now.I put them all on toggle switchs.Good Luck

5. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

snowman i planned on using toggle switches and off road lighs not more plow lights but thanks for the advice.

6. Alan

Alan Member

I've never felt the need for extra lights facing forward but I'm big on putting extra backup lights on my rigs. I'm running two of the rubber housing utility lights on the back on all our rigs. Wired them through a double throw toggle and a 30 amp relay. One side of the toggle takes power from the factory backup light circuit and the other feeds from a constant on source. Depending on which way I flip the switch I can have the auxiliary lights work either full time or only when I am in reverse. Personally I prefer to have them come on in reverse. That way I'm not sucking that current when I'g going forward. Maybe a small thing but it helps keep the current drain manageable. Also, with my setup I'm only pulling the current to trigger the relay through the backup light switch. I think that pulling 7-8 amps extra through the contacts in the backup switch tends to fry it pretty badly. All my auxiliary lights are wired so that they can be constant on, with their own fuses and circuits.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have my aux backup lights wired thru a relay, the backup lamps hot wire is what energizes the relay.

I doubt you would need any extra front lighting, heck with all the snow you could plow with no lights at all and see better during a storm!

8. Tim1075

Tim1075 LawnSite Member

Guys i only wanted to put lights facing forward because my friend who has a '95 dodge 2500 with the cummins and a western uni-mount on it took me plowing once this winter down to his fathers oil company for any of you in northern New Jersey you might know of Bonded Oil, well thats where we went. So i got the forward lights idea from him because he has a roll bar with 4 halogen lights facing forward and it lights up everything in the yard, which you kinda need because all the oil trucks and 2 10,000 gallon oil tanks and a whole lot of curbing.

9. jimsmowin

jimsmowin LawnSite Member

I USE DRIVING [HELLA] MOUNTED ON PLOW FRAME WIRED ON A RELAY AND TURN OFF HEAD LIGHTS ONLY . CORRECTION CLEAR FOG LIGHTS [SPREADS LIGHT OUT] YOU CAN PLOW WITH ALL LIGHTS. FOR REAR LIGHTS I USE HELLA WORK LIGHTS, THEY HAVE TWO 55 WATT BULBS IN EACH LIGHT AND CAN BE WIRED FOR EACH BULB, NOT CHEAP BUT A LOT OF LIGHT