extra oil cooler and fan, how much will it help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Realslowww, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

If you add an additional oil cooler and fan to the hydro system of a ZTR and one for the motor AS WELL, will it help knock much heat out of those systems?

Thanks for any help.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Realslowww

I put this in the wrong forum. Thanks for replying. Do you think it will help a lot?

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I know auxiliary oil coolers for automatic transmissions and engines in trucks make a big difference when towing. No reason it wouldnt help on a ZTR especially with fans.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Realslowww

I am updating my older Super z's and on this mower I am hoping it will help because of all the failures of that systems White wheel motors.

6. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

The general rule of hydraulics is, the cooler you can keep the fluid, the longer the system will last so long as its within the normal operating temperature. For our purpose, yes, bigger better coolers will definitely help the system.

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think it is better to change the fluid more often and use syntheic like from Schaeffer.

8. Realslowww

Thanks for the replies.

9. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Going to synthetics in a 12.5 kaw net me a 5-10 degree drop in operating temperature on average. You could consider switching if you are running a petroleum oil first, and then decide if you want additional cooling.

10. Realslowww

Ebay, I am buying items to make my Super z's better for 20 to 25 % on the $ so might as well make it the way I want. I can update cheap except for the motor.

I missed a Kawasaki 850 a while back that was slightly used and sold for 405 $ and that hurt because I have not seen a good deal on a motor since.