extra stuff to carry on truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kirkny1018, Feb 9, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

That's how I used to do it until there was a 2 week wait on the part, more than once have I been surprised over the years and luck would have it my backup didn't break down too, but it could happen... Every once in a moon the part is discontinued and there's simply no more, too. But them's not the kind to have in the truck, spark plugs on the other hand, or a belt can ruin a day.

Driving by the dealer, have to order the parts, whip out the credit card, pay...
    And go back home, three days later swing by the dealer again, get the part.
    Two stops, one part.

Last but not least, ordering parts from aftermarket bulk is usually cheaper.
    Until we get the wrong part, anyway.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  2. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

I understand working it that way to. No point working in the dirt/mud if you don't have to.

I got used to carrying everything from doing large commercial properties and having just one mower running, I wouldn't be able to finish everything I had scheduled. It all has to do with what type of work you are performing and personal preference. :drinkup:

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

what? seriously? why?

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Spare belts, and shear pins

5. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I don't feel like standing in sweat drenched clothes all day long, plus they usually get some mud or grease wiped on the shirt.

So I look more professional and I feel more comfortable.

-Michael

6. yardguy28

you must sweat like a pig.

I wear the same shirt, pants, underwear, socks and boots all day long. I feel just as comfortable in the afternoon as I do in the morning.

we work outside. anyone expecting us to keep our cloths spotless all day is nuts. so what if I show up in the middle of my route to do an estimate and I have some grass or mud stains on my shirt or pants. you can clearly see I'm out working by the fact I'm pulling a trailer. if I were just the estimate guy expected to look spotless I wouldn't be pulling a trailer full of equipment.

7. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I use walk behinds and I work 10 hour days. I do all the work, I am 20 and am more fit than 90% of the industry.

I am assuming your sitting on a ZTR if your not sweating in 90-100 degree weather with the sun beating down on you.

-Michael

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I've never seen a Z with A/C. There are days I wish it was an option :dizzy:

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

A stethoscope.
    For listening to engines that are making funny sounds.

Spark plug tester

10. yardguy28

no, I'm 31 and overweight.

I use mostly my 52" grandstand. not sitting, standing but not walking. I do all the work myself. I have yards where I only use my 21 incher and its not self propelled.

uh yeah I sweat but not enough to need to change shirts half way through the day. that's a little overkill if you ask me.