Extra week in a month.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcb287, Nov 6, 2004.

1. jcb287

jcb287 LawnSite Member

Quick question,
    I am switching over to contracts this coming year.As an example $100 per cut x 4 (monthly) x 7 months in season=$2800.00.But...what do you do for the month that has five weeks? Freebie? Add a little extra per week to cover in the season? Your thoughts on this would be very helpful. :)
  2. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Figure your total number of cuts for the year and divide it by the months.

Around here its about 26
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i believe every month, averaged out thruout the year, has 4.25 weeks
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to figure out how many weeks are in the months involved with contracts, then multipy times the costs of the work, and divide that price by the number of months. Example of 7 months times 4 weeks = 28 weeks, may turn out to be 30 weeks ( because of the extras). Divide 30 by 7 = costs for monthly payment.
  5. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

I'm going by 35 weeks (8 months) next year for commercial accounts that are yearly contracts. From on or about April 1 (Spring clean up) till on or @ November 30 (fall clean up). That will make the season extend a bit but the extra 2 weeks makes "fall clean ups" a bit easier. I think if you extend the season by 2 weeks then adjust the cost of the fall clean ups a bit, It appears like a lower price for the clean up, yet you still make the same amount thru the 2-4 extra weeks. The down fall is the small amount of revenue in the individual cuts in those two weeks. The upside is the increased time on the billable clean ups with less to clean.
  6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

What i do is send out the bills at the end of the month, after the last cut. Sometimes their bill is for 4 weeks, sometimes it is for 5. When i itemize, they know how many weeks it includes.
  7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I base my total on 26 weeks, then divide by 7 payments. Seems pretty simple to me.
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I also bill at the end of the month. I have no contracts. Some bills are for 4 weeks and some are for 5, I have never had a problem with the fifth week on the invoices.
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, like others have said, figure out your total cuts, then divide by the months
  10. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

There are actually 4 1/3 weeks in every month (12 x 4 1/3 = 52). Like others have suggested, I base my billing on the number of "property visits/cuts" I expect to make in any 12 month period (it happens to be 40 in my area). I then multiply 40 times the cost per cut, and then divide that by 12 to come up with the flat rate /month.

At one time I only billed during the months I actually cut (usually March through November), so in that case I multiplied 4.33 times my weekly rate to come up with a flat rate per month for that 9 month period. Some months I only had 4 cuts, some had 5, but the monthly rate to my customer was the same every month, and I was compensated for every week.