Extract bermuda from my st augustine.. Help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 777rojo777, May 31, 2008.

1. 777rojo777

777rojo777 LawnSite Member

I hope someone can help... roughly 2 1/2 months ago, i scalped my front yard as low as i could get it (i had bermuda)put down bags and bags of soil (sod starter with fertalizer already mixed in) and sodded my front yard with st augustine. well the bermuda is growing back and the st. augustine isn't growing very well at all. it is in direct sun light. about a month after, i did the same thing on the side of my house (scalped, soiled, put sod of st augustine down) and now the grass is growing thick and beautiful....
    So i guess I have 2 questions.. Now can I extract the bermuda from mt st augustine and how can i get the st augustine to grow? Direct sun light doesn't bother st augustine does it?

Thanks for anyone's help
  2. 777rojo777

777rojo777 LawnSite Member

I've been told that I should have sprayed Round Up on the entire
    yard before putting the sods of st augustine down.. I didn't know about
    this prior. And now that i've spent 300.00 on the skids of sod, i don't really
    want to "round it up". One person told me to spray the bermuda with Atrazina but dilute it first. Anyone agree with this? Thanks
  3. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

I don't know of any chemical that will kill bermuda without killing St. Augustine. I did a quick google search and saw a suggesting that might work. It said to focus on getting the St. Augustine to grow, and then cut it slightly taller than normal and keep it at this height. The theory being that the taller St. Augustine will shade the bermuda until it dies.
  4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

This is probibly something you dont want to hear, But you need to decide how important removeing the bermuda from the augustine is.

I suggest a redo......