extreem trimmer rack nightmare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by torotorotoro, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tebletlawns

tebletlawns LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Sorry guys. If you have to do all that work to make sure your trimmers are safe, the "extreme"rack is not a quality product. Maybe if they came up with a better mounting system. Who cares if no can steal the trimmers if they are just gonna fall off. All the extra hardware needed that isn't included..why don't they give you everything you need to truly secure your trimmers. Space is valuble on my trailer and don't know what I would do I had to put 2 double's instead of a 4 rack. My trimmer trap came with everything I needed, holds 4, mounted securely to the top and bottom rail by smart design, and are pretty secure from thiefs. Some of you say these aren't safe from thieves but if a thief really wants it, he's gonna get it, regardless of security. I run all the same brand handhelds so I don't have any issue's with the trimmers spinning that extreme rack owners say happens. Not to say it doesn't happen but I don't have any problems.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier, my fault. I got the blower rack and 3 space trimmer rack. the blower rack is great.

I ordered the engine supports today.. still looking into getting some welding done to brace this thing. what a pain.. i attached some pictures of how i have it installed now.. the first time i installed it I didn't have it directly over a rail with a support under it, and it was supper wobbly.. the engine side is now over a support, and drilled through that to add that bracket in hopes to keep it a little more stable. really the only movement is from the trailer, it doesn't wobble much, but need to get it out on the road and see.

gt1.jpg

gt2.jpg

3. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

These look pretty good.

4. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that is some serious metal fatigue. The above mentioned racks look pretty good.

5. Blazerfb

Blazerfb LawnSite Member

I mounted my 3 trimmer to the front of one of our cargo trailers with 2.5ft sides to avoid this. Tubular steel frame of the trailer gives you 4 solid mounting points plus is sits on the tongue giving you 2 more points for a total of 6. It doesn't budge.

For the money though, you should be able to mount it wherever the hell you want. IMO
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Wright Lawn

Wright Lawn LawnSite Member

I don't like green touch because they install like the brand you have, only on top of the rail. Have you tried Jungle Jims? junglejimsap.com. I've been using them since 06 never had a problem. They mount to the floor of the trailer, the bottom and top rail of trailer. Made in Louisville KY. :usflag:

7. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

with any brand and make racks i modify them to work they way i want them to mount on my trailer.

8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't Xtremes made in China?

Now don't get me wrong I like mine but I now have them mounted in my enclosed trailer - 4 attachment points mounted to tubular steel so solid as sears. When I had mine on an open, I was nervous about wobbling and the fatigue though.

9. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

Looking at the Xtreme 3 trimmer rack for an open trailer. I would think regardless of brand you would want to mount the posts at the base as well as some distance up the post to help stabilize the racks. Some of the roads that we travel around here are rough, so I would want extra support anyway. Also, I would think that the engine supports should be required regardless of the brand of rack or what type of trailer they would be mounted on. Don't want the trimmer shaft to snap from fatigue. Any other suggestions on what racks to purchase? We made some last year that worked well, but I didn't like the wear on the trimmers from rotating in the racks.

10. Reliable1387

Reliable1387 LawnSite Member

I'm putting two new trailers on the road this year and after seeing the pictures in this thread I'm going for thicker sturdier racks. I've dealt with a set of Pack 'Em racks on an open trailer before and all they did was clang around and were cheap as could be.

I found these on Amazon and Ebay. Ordered a both a two place for an open and a three place for an enclosed and they are solid and took minutes to mount.

http://www.amazon.com/Three-Place-T...1365516446&sr=8-17&keywords=line+trimmer+rack

http://www.amazon.com/Place-Trimmer...F3MM/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A30PJ240TO3YZ9