Extreme Drought in

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Aug 10, 2007.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We are currently in an EXTREME Drought here in SW Ohio.

We have had about 1.8" of rain since late March/Early April, and our crops and lawns are in trouble. We were in the high 90's all week and no rain in the 10 day forecast.

We will probably have a 100% crop loss on beans and hard to say on corn right now, but not good at all. Lawns are VERY thin and brown!

Anyway, I have never been in this situation in lawncare. Over the last three years we have had dry weather but only for a few weeks at a time.

You guys that have been in this game for a while, I am sure have been in this situation. How do you handle? If no rain in late August/Early Sept, should I start my fall app? Most lawns are going to have tons of thin/bare spots so I am sure I will be spotting in a ton of grass! Do you make any changes in your program?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

It's been very dry here in Tennessee, but not as bad as Ohio from the way it sounds !!

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Drought--here in Michigan, too. I do not worry about treating irrigated lawns. No problem.

Dry lawns I treat also--rain will probably happen soon. And then the grass will recover more quickly. Of course, some customers have asked that I postpone the application until rain occurs. An extra treatment in late fall will help the grass recover. We can do the September treatment as usual and then do the August treatment in late October.

I expect that if heavy rain occurs--and it remains hot--it is likely that crabgrass and summer weeds will grow like crazy. Or--if it cools off. Hits 45 at night--then crabgrass really slows down.

Companies that have the proper equipment will have an opportunity to reseed damaged lawns. And you should encourage your customers to seed in fall--soil temperatures are high--for quick germination. A spring seeding interferes with crabgrass control. Spring seeding starts slow due to cold soil temps. There are a lot more weed and crabgrass problems with a spring seeding of grass.

4. If no rain in late August/Early Sept, should I start my fall app?

What fert are you planning on applying? % slow release? What form of slow release? Application rate, or Lbs/m of nitrogen? Potash included? sop, or mop? previous history of applications for season? Any other app to follow? Answer to prevois ques for next app?

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

has anyone ever thought of using a pot ash product instead of N.
    also if you have spray equip. there are products like Hydretain Root Zone Moisture Manager (lesco calls it ecossential) works good have used it myself we go thru dry periods every spring and early summer(untill herricane season comes)

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Timturf,

I usually start in late August to Early Sept and apply 32-3-8 25%SCU (1#N/1000). I then come back in Oct/Nov with a quick release N (depending on inventory usually no SCU).

With the serious drought we are having, I was just wondering if I should do anything differently and wonder what you guys would do in this situation.

I don't think we will lose 100% of our lawns, but I have already see some lawns that are probably about 30% gone and are shot.

I am planning on doing a lot of seeding already so this will affect my applications quite a bit also for broadleaf control and possibly the fert I use which will porbably be 18-24-12 50%SCU!

7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

its amazing what a little rain will do!
    I would go ahead with fall apps as planned, it would be good to have a good application of slow release down when it finally does rain,

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Indy and Riggle. I just got back from King's Island and you're right, it's dry, but no worse than many places in the midwest. Maybe go with a higher rate of PSCU (50%) or a product like MESA or UFLEXX that's more stabile and less likely to volatize before it gets "rained" in.

9. Might be a good time to apply .5 to 1lb/m of nitrogen using a very high % slow release....greater than 70%... ibdu as a source since breakdown controled by moisture