extreme heat policy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

when i worked at the printshop, there was no policyat all. if it was 100 outside, it was sometimes 110, 115 inside the shop. the hottest i've seen it, was 124 degrees inside the shop. i left that day, and called out the next couple of days. my friend eddie is a foreman for a millwright union, the policy is, if it's over 90 degrees, the men are sent home for the day. for the guys here that have employees, do you have an extreme heat policy, like maybe work only half a day, or something? and for the solo guys, do you have any kind of a policy where u will only work xx hours in extreme temps? as for me, i can handle the heat and humidity just fine, what i can't stand is the feeling of the sun beating down on my head, face, and arms. we will only work till like 12:00-1 pm in extreme temps. that's the new rule. any policies amoungst you guys, or is it simply work till you drop?

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I don't much like the heat or humidity but, I'll work as long as I can if I feel like i'm getting sick or light headed that's it i'm done and tomorrow is another day. I don't think a few lawns are worth killing yourself over. But, some may disagree with me on that note and that's just fine because they probably have 2 or more crew's running like mad. I'm a solo so if I go down i'm screwed.

Rob

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Use your head! In extreme heat, drink lots of water, take extra breaks, hose your pulse points down (wrists & back of neck) If your client has a pool, sunmerge your head. Keep an eye on one another. If you're feeling sick or dizzy, get in the shade and/or go home or in A/C. Life is too short.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

For God's sake Bobby you work out side.

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

that is very obvious. but, after that "trial and error" routine, i think i'd like to have a standard policy, like, you know, don't wait till we get dizzy or sick? i think i'll use 93+ work no later than 1:30 , or something along those lines

6. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Turfdude, Thanks for posting I just learned something new "Hose your pules points down" I honestly never knew that thank you.

Rob

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

am i not human? if you prick me, will i bleed?

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, and when I worked in the foundry, we couldn't keep a thermometer, they all blew up. If there was nothing to do, and it was hot, we went home. Otherwise, we sweated. Quit wining. Ninety degrees. I don't start until it hits 90, if I have a choice.
    Crawdad

9. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

But on only working till 12 or 1 you can still if the humidity is low then the heat anit bad but once the humidity gos up we pack it in or don't go out

10. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

As for extreme heat, I'm solo and somedays I might feel weak in the heat and decide to take a long break in some AC, or if I feel fine, then I just keep going. Right now, my lawns are so dry that I am taking some time off. I have a few other smaller, but promising businesses, so dormant grass isn't a huge killer for me. Although it is a disappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.