Extreme hill.....which mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Mar 19, 2004.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call from a guy today that has a house on the lake. He told me over the phone that it was on a hill but I had no idea it was this steep. I'm going to go over tomorrow and take a picture of it, but I was just wondering how steep of a hill can you mow with a mower?? I heard someone tell me along time ago that the oil on 4 cycle mowers drains to one side of the pan and you can burn up a mower. Will my exmark 36" metro be able to cut a hill with say a 35-45 degree slope??

2. scannon

scannon LawnSite Member

Make sure you take a good pic af the sid eslope, of the hill. Keep your camera level

3. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Never do it with a ztr, and if you have to. Mow at a angle. I've heared of a lot of flip over deaths

4. 2k1yzfr1

there is no way in hell I would attempt it on my ZTR that's why I'm wondering if a walkbehind could even do it. I am going to go over to the house in a few mins I should have a pic on here within a hour or 2.

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Your Walk Behind will handle the steepest possible, and a tractor is next as far as side hill ability - Be very carefull with a ZTR. Thanks, Brad

6. 2k1yzfr1

Here is the first picture

7. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

whew, its so steep that it looks like a blank wall. thats a bad boy.

8. 2k1yzfr1

It looks like I am going to have to use the 21 incher on it. There is a tree right in the middle of the only entrance accesible by a bigger mower. Will my snapper commercial work on this yard?? The pics don't do justice to how steep the yard really is.

111_1196.jpg

9. 2k1yzfr1

well the first picture didn't work lets try it again!

111_1194.jpg

10. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

In the second picture the hill doesnt look so bad. I would try my Z on it. However in real life that hill would seem much more intimidating than it does in the picture. Do you have a hover mower? On steep hills that is the way to go. Alot easier to push around than a standard 21". And on REALLY steep hills you tie a rope around the handle and swing that baby around like tarzan.