Extreme Lawn Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Oct 18, 2007.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone out there strickly mow? Maybe a little fertilizer and some hedge trimming on Saturdays but other then that just mow full time. I'm just wondering if its possible to make money. I work my myself and gross around $600 on days where I mow for a majority of the time. People say there is no money in cutting lawns but if you have a full crew maybe 3 guys or even 4 guys mowing big properties is it possbly to make really good money? I think it is...is there anyone out there doing it?

2. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

It could be done... of course there are a lot of other factors. Mowing is set weekly which makes making money steadily a good thing. However, you can get paid more for other services. You just don't know when people are going to want them or call you up during the season.

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I like about mowing you know you are going to have work next week and it's always steady...all the other jobs I get are just extra but I'm wondering if you can actually make real good money just mowing...I think you could....but if it's possible there should be people doing it already.:dancing:

4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

There will be no work next week, and the work isn't always steady, ... when a drought comes around. There are many threads started and populated the past few weeks about very hard times keeping the mowers running.

We are in a weather-related business, and sometimes nature takes a course that does not permit steady work.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Gee didn't you answer you own question?

6. fergman

fergman LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

yeah if he gets to where he does that 6 days a week he'll be doing real good. think about it man,do you know of anybody that makes 600 bucks a day? probably not. well, i mean people that dont work for themselves. as time goes along youll probably want to do other things also and that will make it even more likely to keep and get more customers because you offer more services. read tons, then read some more. your very lucky people in your area think theres no money to make in lawncare. TRY TO KEEP IT THAT WAY. you'll have less competition. knowledge and great management is where its at. and im so glad you can find hells of all of it here:weightlifter:

7. zurfsturfcare

zurfsturfcare LawnSite Senior Member

it can be done if the weather works in your favor all year. here in ohio that couldn't be done without compromising your customer service

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I work solo, 60-80 hours / week, sometimes pushing 100 in heavy spring growth and will gross $100k in 6 months here in MN basically straight mowing.

I'll do my own fert applications, as well as chemical apps, but it's all built into flat contracted fees that are spread out over 6 months, May - October.

It's the only way to beat this game if you're going to just mow, you HAVE to have the guaranteed money.

At a school district I mow, I didn't mow it at all for the month of July, yet I still got the $6400 check. However, we've had 20" of rain now since the end of August, and if it doesn't snow before November, I'm sure the school will get a couple extra cuts that were really in the agreement, to keep things looking trimmed into winter.

9. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

holy crap, how do you gross $600 in 1 day working solo. the most i have ever done in 1 day is 10 lawns working solo, and most of these are good sized. that would mean your average lawn is $60.00, wow, how is that possible?

10. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

You can but like stated before there is so much money in other jobs. Hell i'm doing a sod job where im making 325 or so in about 4 hours of work.