Extreme Wall building

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by cedarcroft, Nov 13, 2005.

1. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am a sub that has been contracted to build a 170' long retaining wall that at its highest will be about 12 feet. the wall is going to go into a slope that is at best 35 degrees and at its worst about 45-50 degrees. excavation starts tomorrow, blocks (anchor product) arrive wednesday. this is a first for me, so I am bringing a friend in from atlanta to help. I would like to post pics here when its done, just gotta figger out how to do it.
    any advice or suggestions?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Sounds like a great job to get your feet wet in walls!

:rolleyes:

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would contact the county to see if they require it to be engineered or not and check to see if local permits are going to be needed.Then go from there.

4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

12' high wall should be engineered.

5. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of experience do you have building walls? Construction begins tomorrow and the only thing that remains in your preparation is to "figger out how to do it." Is this a joke?

One suggestion, find somebody that knows what they're doing and led them build this wall. Chances are that won't happen because you probably under bid the job.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sounds like a joke :dizzy: 1 yr biz experience and gonna try 12'? Give me a break:waving:

7. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

You screw up on a retaining wall and some one can die. This ain't a little garden or decortive wall, this is holding ALOT back.

So what are you going to use, a 8 ft step ladder to build the top corses of the wall?

8. JS Landscaping

JS Landscaping LawnSite Member

I think he means "figger out how to do it", in refrence to posting pictures of it. Well I certainly hope thats what he means! ;)

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OOHHH I see ...he needs to fiqure out how to post PICs of the wall not figure out how to Build the wall right?
    If so sorry guys I read and answered that post incorrectly....if that's what was ment by
    "figure it out".?

10. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am bringing in my friend from ATlanta who is extremely well versed in retaining wall building. His mian function will be to oversee myself and my crew as we build the wall. I am hiring him so I can learn from an expert. I am a sub on the job hired to stack blocks and only stack blocks. all permits, engineering and design have been taken care of by the company whose job it is. I was, in fact, refering to posting pictures when stating I needed to "figger" it out. The excavation is being done today and tomorrow by a very well known and reputable local company. Although a step ladder might be an option to some, we will be utilizing a Lull, a backhoe and skid steer for the duration of the job.
    I know there are a lot of dooshbags out there, but I assure you I am not one of them. I would never even consider doing this wall on my own without a plan, engineering and an expert on site. as for underbidding, nice jab, but I didn't bid the job. I believe the contractor is getting $23 pr sq ft. I am getting $9 for my labor. he is laying out all money and equipment, I am stacking blocks.
    breathe deep folks........everything is OK