Extreme weather operation

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I wanted to pass this on because I think it is pretty impressive. This morning my Takeuchi TB53 started. Why is that impressive. Well on the way to work this morning the temp in my pickup said 39 below zero. My 440 which was plugged in while it sat on the trailer last night by the time we got to the job site in these temps would not start. The Takeuchi which has sat in these temps. all weekend, according to the weather channel, down to 45 below started. I had to function the glow plugs twice but it started. I could not believe it. The ground heater took a sh!t and the ground was too froze to do anything with as it turned out but the TK was ready to go. I run synthetic oil in it, if that was what it was I don't know but the battery is as old as the machine is. Amazing I thought.

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Very amazing. Are you treating your fuel? I have had trouble with my 185 i use poer service in it but i must top it off every time i get done with it. The fuel line is so damn small any moisure in tank it will feeze. We had all of this 60-70 deg, weather than it turned cold down to 20 1 night last week and i froze up. I didnt top it off 2 days before when i ran it. Good job on your machine, i bet you wanted to give the old girl a treat for starting:clapping:
    Mike

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I treat the fuel but I really expected it to be jelled. I was actually really concerned that it had gotten so cold that it went beyond the capabiity of my antifreeze.

I wanted to give the old girl a big kiss. I withheld myself as my lips would still be stuck to it but the thought was there.

4. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

I would say not only impressive ,but AMAZING!!!!!!! Does the TB53 have a 4 cyclinder.Are you using number one fuel,i would think anything less would be jelling in that cold of weather.Do you have a canvas cab at least to break the wind and heater on you mini????? i would grit my teeth every time i had to start my machine at that temp!!!!!!!!

So if your get your ground heater going will it thaw things out enough so you can work.How big area are you trying to keep open to work in.100ft.by 100ft.??????It would cost quite a little to just keep things thawed out.Propane heater.How are you keeping the heat in??????

So my radio guy was pretty close on the temp wasn't he!Good Luck and take care.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The easiest part of the dig is the portion that is left it is about 30X30 and have to dig the garage footings. The other portions of the house went down 12'. The ground heater burns number one which heats a boiler which pumps water out in hose that is laid out on the ground. The machine I guess can do about an inch of frost an hour. I was hitting frost at 4' so it will take a while. The TK is open canopy. No heat no windbreak but the lot is on the down hill side, little wind, no sun but little wind. I am trading this machine on a cab unit, the machine should be here by the end of the week. The diesel in the machine is number 2 that is treated with Amsoil diesel treatment.

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your walking advertisement for that anti-gel company. You should call them with your story they might send a free case.
    Mike

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yanmar makes some excellent diesel engines.

Are you having any trouble with the tracks freezing to the ground? I imagine your cleaning them every night so you don't have frozen mud in the idlers.

Its only getting to about 20 degrees at night here, I sat and watched a couple guys clean out the tracks of three 200 size machines this evening (Big dig project by our job, piping 5 miles of irrigation ditch).

Just so I understand you right, your doing full size basement excavation with your mini instead of your 9020b? Don't trust that big of machine that high up on the hill in that cold?

8. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's pretty amazing that it started being that cold. It's gotta be hard on it though. I'd also be afraid of going past the anti-freeze line. Is the thaw machine something like a Crown Heat King? They're good for an inch per hour, but I don't know since it's so cold there. I think your 440 is the smartest of the two.:)

9. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

At those cold of temps you have to start worrying about the metal getting brittle. It's amazing how steel can snap when cold. At about -30°F equipment operations around hear are on a emergency basis. The hydraulics get real sluggish also, leaks show up on any marginal cylinder seals.

My friends oil cooled Deutz engine in his 864 had trouble running in those cold temps also.

I have dug in about 2-1/2' of frozen ground before with a 337. I used the normal 24" bucket, but replaced the teeth with Twin Tiger teeth. [​IMG]

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That is way too cold for me :cry:

How do you move with that much clothes on ?

One of my school buddies works in Northern Alberta he says it gets so cold there that you go outside for a minute and you have frostbite.

Give me rain anyday of the week because working in rain gear is easier than winter clothes.