1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eye Issues !!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Jun 8, 2004.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Ok am I the only one out there who keeps getting eye infections from mowing? I ALWAYS wear a pair of wrap around Ray Bans anytime I go near the mower but I'm still getting junk in my eyes. Last week it was my right eye then this week my left. Its driving me crazy. I cant be the only one with this problem, I'm gonna go blind soon. Help!
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Mabey the ray bans don't wrap around enough or do not go down low enough at the bottom. You might need a pair that seals around youe eyes. Your eyesight is too important to mess up... 2 years ago, I was wearing saftey glasses and mowing, it was windy, and a small peice of grass made it to my eye. It scratched my corenea, talk about a week of trouble!!!!!!! I have noticed that the newer style glasses are smaller, less wide so they look cooler to wear, but I don't think they protect enough..
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

unknown. but it sounds as though you have allergies, which of course affect the eyes.

if you have been to the doc and been diagnosed as eye infection, then that is what it is.

but if your eyes are coming up with the little film that floats around and then gets crusty at night while you sleep, that isn't infection.

it is protien build up. wash your face and eyes often, use moisturizing drops and always wear eye protection. HTH.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was thinking allergies too. I have them and no glasses will stop my eyes from getting itchy.

If you know for certain that it was an infection, then it could be from sweat running down your brow, or transfer of the irritant from another part of your body like from your brow, to your hands to your eyes, or from another object like from your mower deck to your hands to your eyes. In fact if it was an infection I would be willing to bet that it did not happen from something flying directly into your eyes.

My best advice is to never touch your eyes unless your hands are clean. Also do not wipe your eyes with your shirt or other material that has been exposed to contaminants.

LIBERTY LAWNCARE 2 LawnSite Member

Sounds like an allergy or irritant that is getting into your eyes.

I leave anti-bacterial wipes or baby wipes in my truck & use them to wipe my face & eyebrows to keep the gunk out of my eyes & the infections & irritation stopped. The eye doctor advised this after my eyes swelled shut!

Just be careful of the antibacterial wipes, they sting if you get any of the stuff in your eyes.
  6. aVOLanche

aVOLanche LawnSite Member

There are anti-histamine eyedrops available(over the counter) that should help allergies.Frequent use of a "liquid tears" type eyedrop (basically as a rinse) may help.If you don't already wear glasses,a good pair of goggles are the best protection.make sure they have a seal.I'd ask an optometrist or an optician about what is available in eye care.
  7. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

This might help!!!! I syphathize with you. I have a terrible time with my eyes. I'm thinking about rigging up a pump with a shower head on it to rinse my eyes.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Here's an odd stopry for yall. Last fall when I was overseeding my yard, my dad was helping me. He was taking handfuls of the rye grass and doing little spot treatments in areas that were hard to get to with the spreader. Overnight his hands got really swollen, and evidently he got a rye seed or something in his eye (from the bag of seed), and he got this thing called Bell's Palsey. For about 3 months the whole left side of his face was number and he couldnt move it.

Eyelid (couldnt close his eye- had to tape it shut) and couldnt move his left part of his left). ALl sorta of trouble. Something caused swelling from the seed of rye and it ended up pinching off a major nerve in his face. He was left numb for serveral months.

It finally went away completely just the other month, but I remember him being really scared he'd never have use of the left side of his face again.

I've learned you can never be too careful.