Eye Protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 28, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

The first year I mowed, I wore safety glasses. They worked OK but when things got dry, I found after about ten lawns my eyes looked like I had been rubbing them with sandpaper.

Now, I wear a pair of Scott goggles (same ones I use on my ATV when I ride) and what a difference. Some of the other LCO's probably laugh when they see me mowing but I could care less.

Try em, you'll like em!:drinkup:

2. Have you considered you may have alergies?

I take a (generic) Claritin every day in the spring and later in the fall. Not for my eyes, but for nasal congestion.

Dave

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I do have allergies which is part of the reason for my eyes turning red. But still, some of the lawns I mow kick up a lot of dust and debris, so regardless, goggles for me were the answer.

4. buddhaman

buddhaman LawnSite Member

5. buddhaman; Thanks for the link. Those look good. Cheap too for safety glasses. I had to buy my son a pair of glasses for a plant we service where "eye protection" is required.
    The only thing we could find at Wal-Mart with safety lenses were iridium blue. Now that looks goofy!
    I better get him some upgrades.

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I always wear safety sunglasses that i get at our Speedway. They seam to work very well:cool2:

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Stihl sell some pretty good ones.

8. shortgut

shortgut LawnSite Member

I got a pair of motorcycle goggles best investment as it is realy dry and dusty here so nice to wake upp thenext morning and not have to dig mud pies out of your eyes they are really nice when you make a turn going back the way you just come from . Another thing that I hate to wear and are a pain and that is a dust mask

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

J-Thomas has sets of decent looking safety glasses for around 3 dollars each.

As for dustbins, I charge extra for those yards anymore, I got sick as a dog from the dust earlier this year and the dust also tears the crap out of my bearings, it eats at the whole machine like sandpaper and everything gets so dirty I got to wash everything afterwards, yuck... I mean, some dust is one thing but these yards that have like a dozen blades of grass for the whole lot?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Didn't realize Stihl had any or I would have probably bought some the other week.
    Same deal with their backpack sprayer in the ad banner.
    Didn't find out until I had bought already bought new.

Anyways, I have a really hard time wearing safety glasses like I should. I would probably do better about it if I could bring myself to wear ATV goggles, but...

Anyways, I went recently and bought these really nice safety sunglasses with UV protection and all. These are specifically for landscapers. They remind me of something Dale Earnhart wore. They fit really close to the eyebrow and cheekbones and wrap around like racing shades he sometimes wore with the open face helmets and before/after the races. I think they are the only pair I have ever worn that I did not still get something in my eye the first day. They do a good job of protecting my eyes from everything but of course extreme dust.

I like these the best of any I have ever owned. So far no glare and no fog, which was always what made me take the others off. The only thing is I am having a hard time adjusting to the sunglasses part of the deal. Yeah it's real nice not to have to squint all day. But dang I have a hard time seeing as well, but it's not nearly as bad as the glare on clear ones I've used and other safety shades or the reflection of your own face in them, ect.

I still find myself taking them off some so I can "see".