eye protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bryan Wilson, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Bryan Wilson

Bryan Wilson LawnSite Member

What policy do operators have about employees wearing eye protection while weed wacking?
    I told my employee that he MUST wear eye protection but every time I turn around he's not wearing glasses. I provided him with plastic safty glasses but he had them scartched up within a couple days. I'll be darned If I'm going to pay for 2 pairs a glasses a week.
    Any suggestions?
    Do you provide protection or does the employee?

2. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

Make sure that it is written company policy. Be sure to include in that policy that you will provide, free of cost, "X" number of safety glasses per "X" amount of time. If they need to replace them outside of the guidelines, they have to pay for them or they are deducted from their paycheck. Be sure that they sign a paper that says that it can and will be deducted from their paycheck before doing this though.

This does work. I used to work at a very large factory with this very same policy. They will take better care of them.

3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

I only give one warning then there out the door.I still have my right eye but am blind in it.I was using my trimmer and hit a glass bottle and it blew apart. The doc said if i didnt they would have had to take it out. I love my safty glasses and my buddy that helps me part time dose to.

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

They make some nice safety glasses and protective cases. Under 10 bucks. He has to wear them , Period. Maybe let him pick them out. You pay for maybe 2 pair a year. I recomend that glasses be worn for mowing too. I have been hit in glasses more than once mowing. Also get lense cleaning solution station for truck.

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

if I wear it, you wear it, I make them. i'll buy the first pair. after that you buy your own. no glasses no work. I think they will brake or will scratch them up so they don't have to wear them I say you have to go,

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

A few things.

First of all...according to a poster in another thread....its a F***IN "string"trimmer...not a weedeater.

Secondly, when it comes to debris, I have taken it in the mouth more times than Linda Lovelace in "Deep Throat".

A company here in my area sells the protective head gear/ear muffs/face shield. The face shield is a poly-mesh screening (zero fog) and the ear muffs protect against angry neighbors who dont allow you to finish your work before chewing you out about not blowing the grass clippings from the road while you are blowing them....whoa, just short of a breakdown here.

The hard hat is self-explanatory. As far as what policy is in place for eyes and ears.....none. They have the choice to either work with good vision or do it up big Helen Keller style.

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

So, when you don't make your people wear safety glasses, and they get something in their eye and lose it....who will pay when they sue you. How about the fines from OSHA. Safety glasses are a must. I make my people wear hearing protection too. They try to get out of both. I say...Wear em or find another job.

8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I supply the first pair of safety glasses (I buy them what I wear or they buy what the want and I refund them with a receipt) and expect them to last for a reasonable amount of time. If they get broken while working...i replace. No safety glasses while trimming equals no work with no pay. I explain this to each new helper when I hand them the glasses, ear plugs and gloves.

lfiada!:waving:

9. Elite Lawn Care

Elite Lawn Care LawnSite Member

For employees the best thing to do is put it in writing and make them sign it. they can always come back with a lawyer and say that THEY never saw the policy, even though they read it. BUT if it has their X on it you have a leg to stand on. Remember CYOB cover your own but. this guy sounds like trouble if something was to happen. The screen and saftyglasses I would make him do for the rest of the year. By making him sign it and when he realizes that becuase he signed it YOU wont's cover the medical bills for HIS stupidity.

I have been told that I am mean on making guys follow the rules, but I have had no E.R. visits yet. Besides that is what I pay them for:hammerhead:

10. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Elite Lawn Care answered the question that you asked. I cannot be everywhere at once. I ALWAYS catch them without it. Its a burden I must bear, and one that elicits unexplained emotions that only the one-ness of knowing I've done the right thing by offering protection for free can bring.