1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Eye protection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Nov 11, 2003.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Of coarse we use ear protection while working in my crews. All four of my guys and myself wear prescription glasses all the time. Often while just mowing I get hit in the face by flying pebbles and such (especially circling trees and walls).
    My question is, how many of you have been injured by flying projectiles and could it have been prevented with proper eye protection or other protective equipment.
  2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

Years ago it was getting dark as I was finishing a lawn. I was having trouble seeing while weedwacking, so I took my safety glasses off. Two seconds later I had a pebble wedged between my eyeball and my eye socket. I was able to work it out. After that the safety glasses stayed on always. I only take them off when I'm using the blower (sometimes).
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Safety glasses = must have for lawn work.

In the distant past, used to get little 'gotcha's' in and around eyes all the time.
    No more, always wear safety glasses. Get and have available several pair with different colored lenses so you can wear what is appropriate for your current lighting conditions. Be sure to wear real safety glasses, don't try to be in style and wear sunglasses instead.

In a previous life was involved with mechanic shop. Some nimrod was always running the brake lathe or pounding on hardened metal with a sledge without eye protection.
    Dumbest case was one mechanic that'd already lost one eye to lack of safety glasses, and still had to ride his butt to get him to wear any glasses.

Most sickening case was one guy using a rubber bungee cord to try to hold down some material, the type with a large steel s hook on each end. Stretching it way beyond its intended length, far end popped loose, made a sucking-popping sound as the metal hook completely destroyed one eye in a fleshy explosion.

Safety, don't take it for granted!
  4. coalburner

coalburner LawnSite Member

My safety glasses took a hit so hard (rock off a tree) that it made my nose sore. I figure if I didn't have them on I would be going around looking like a Pirate.

safety glasses MUST HAVE prescription Z-87 MUST HAVE
  5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow Rustic Goat. metal hook completely destroyed one eye in a fleshy explosion. Boy, that sure raises a level of awareness. Its not like you can grow a new eye ball or anything.
  6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

How many of you are running trimmers without the guards on?
  7. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Never would even consider running Trimmers without Guards on. Talk about a safety Hazard.

8. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

i was doing a cleanup today....now i usually wear sunglasses whenever i am working but today was really cloudy and dark so i took them off. 5 minutes later i got hit 1 inch below the right eve with something......glasses went right back on...........
  9. BBS

BBS LawnSite Member

safety glasses are a must..Wasn't wearing them while wacking,stick hit me in the eye,lost my balance,tripped on a stump,trimmer line hit my leg about 8 times ....saftey shin pads are a must as well lol
  10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Safety glasses and ear protection always....
    I had a small rock make a clean shot through my nose and hit what felt like my brain. Eyes watered and I had to take a time out.....ouch.

and I don't have over sized nostrils either.