Eyeball it or exact square ft

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cochino12, Dec 13, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

When bidding your small to medium size commercial or residential accounts do you guys get an exact square foot? or do you just sort of eyeball it? I have been doing both, kind of measuring some but not all. I suppose if the property was just a square and had no hills or edging sqare feet would be the best way. Sort of seems like an educated guess sometimes, hopefully I will learn as much next year as I did this year. Just curious to see how the majority here do it.

2. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I eyeball it. I compare it to other properties I do of equal size, and determine if it'll take about the same time, and if it will be as profitable as desired. If the customer is also interested in other services, I may discount it somewhat.

3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto ooo exactlypayup

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I eyeball it, and i'd say 90% of contractors do on the small to medium properties.

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Me too, eyeball it

6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Eyeball it, but keep it open for any changes in the future (after you do the work the first time). I have some 10,000sf that are quicker than 4,000 sf.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Eyeball...measuring wheel only comes out for specialized projects.

8. oatka

oatka LawnSite Member

anyone thought of using Google Earth's measuring tool? it can measure straight lines or crooked ones. it's a great tool. i used it to figure how far i use to walk after leaving my last crappy corporate job.

9. Bengo

Bengo LawnSite Member

Eyeball it....use the time saved measuring to do some cuttin'

BENGO'S llc
    " Just Pluggin' Alawn"
    Lawn Service

10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

with experience comes wisdom . i only realy measured when i first started . now i can look at a property and tell what i need to know about maintainance of that prop . but when it comes to landscapes then i measure .