Eyeballing', or Measuring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Feb 22, 2006.

?

How do you come up with your client's price schedule?

1. Eyeballing the property?

78.2%
  2. Measuring the property?

24.1%
  3. Other?

2.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Spring is just around the corner, so the "What would you bid" posts are starting to pop up. I have always found that there are too many variables in commercial mowing to go with fixed pricing, based on square footage. Items such as landscape, competition, grades, equipment, trees, client, etc. all affect my ability to quote static pricing.

I pick an hourly rate that gives supplies my margin and run with that. In other words, I "eyeball" each lawn individually.

I'm just a bit curious what the other professionals are doing here. Please respond to the poll, or post a solution that works for your operation.

2. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

I actually do both depending on the lawn or property. I am starting to measure all the properties just so i have them for my own purpose.

3. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

At the beginning, I was measuring the lawns b/c I thought that looked more professional. So it didnt seem like I was just making numbers in my head. But by the end of the year, I just eye balled it, I figured as long I was pretty close to the property size I was happy. I would always drop lines like you house on about an acre right? When I am correct, I think that impresses people more than having to take measurements, it makes it look like I really know what I am doing ,boy looks really can be deceiving :rolleyes:

Ron

4. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Whenever I go to someone's house as of lately, I get the old measuring wheel out and measure the lawn. Now this really doesnt have any aid for me in the mowing price/est. I want square footage because I try and sell the customer on a fertilzation program. So I definitely need the square footage for that.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I will do this, but before I ask if they are interested in a chem app program. If they are already locked into a contract, there's not point in measuring the lawn...unless there might be other services involved like aeration or overseeding.

Large commercial properties....you bet I measure them. I know how long it takes to mow an acre. I use the measurement only as a basis of my bid. If it's all strung out, I am not sure if it's 3 acres or 5. I will figure how long it would take me if the land was flat and no obstacles....then figure in added time to mow around the obstacles, estimate the trimming, edging & cleanup.

6. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, you should measure it out and price fert anyway. Then you'll prob get the fert account too, or you will the next year. Much better having one company doing ALL the lawn work. Explain that it's better for you to do the whole thing, so you can time the fert, weed control, etc.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Should I get the mowing and they have contract for chem apps with somebody else, I will measure it out....as the season progresses, but if I don't get the mowing I don't.

8. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

its nice to measure everything out like the beds and things like that for upsells later. that way you wont have to go back to measure another time.

9. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

Our county has a real estate site which lists every property in the county. All I do is type in the address and all the lot information complete with photos pops up right in front of me! It's nice to have seen the property and know the lay out before doing the estimate.

10. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

take one trip to measure then you can easily and quickly tell them prices for other services that are based on sq footage.