1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ez dumper chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JRSlawn, Feb 22, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I just had an ez dumper with cab protector on my 1995 chevy 2500 I am affraid when it is loaded it is really gonna sag. Do you think I need to add some springs and put timbrens on it or what should I do to keep it from sagging?
  2. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely get timbrens they are pretty cheap and work well.If after that you still get a lot of sag maybe add a spring but i think the timbrens will do the trick.
  3. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

My Dad had a 94 2500 with a similiar set-up to yours. He had the steel body. The truck sagged a little empty with just the body alone. He never beefed up the rear springs. The truck was used to haul sand, gravel, and stone of various types. When loaded the nose was definately up in the air . Dad is the king of overloading a truck. Any Chevy will sag when loaded. Typical of the breed.

There are two reccomendations I would try. 1) Either go to a spring shop and have an extra leaf installed in the current springs or get a heavier set of springs. 2) Try adding a set of helper springs that only work when the truck is loaded. This way you maintain a comfortable ride when empty.

I would also reccomend adding a separate heavy duty oil cooler for the transmission if you plan to do a lot of hauling. The 94 my Dad had was equipped with the towing package but I didn't feel that the cooler was sufficient.

Hope this helps.
  4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

You shouldn't really have any problems, but I would suggest adding either 1) helper springs, 2) overload springs, 3) air bags, or 4) timbrens.

Air bags would be ideal, but are somewhat expensive. I personally have overload springs and they work great. I've never used timbrens but I have heard good things about them.

Here is a pic of my overload springs. They don't come in contact until they are loaded.

5. GLS

Here is a pic with a big load of compost. It squats a little bit, but not too bad.

I don't do it all of the time, but i've had 4700lbs of gravel (I know it's overweight) in it.

6. GLS

I also should add this comment to anyone who is saying "why is that dumbazz using an ez-dumper to haul things...you need at least a class 6 truck with a dump body if you plan to make money hauling materials."
    I am not trying to make money hauling materials. I usually only use it for leaves, grass, brush, and mainly mulch. It is a time saver and back saver.
  7. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Would timbrens ruin my leaf springs i allready have. I also ushally only hual mulch or waste but I dont want it to sag if I decide to put 4yds of mulch in it.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You can add Timbrens, overload springs and what not but what about overloading the axles. Seems to me all these aftermarket helper products do is make the truck not sag. They don't actually increase the load capacity of the truck. I would buy a one ton truck or larger if I was going to use a dump insert.
  9. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Anybody use an EZ dumper with the sides built up for spring/fall clean-up with leaf-loader?
  10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone Air Helper Springs w/compressor, Truck Craft TC-120 Ultra dump insert, Trac Vac Leaf box with a Billy Goat QL2300 leaf loader make up my clean up equipment. This was the first season it was used and I saved a lot of time speak not about the physical exertion over previous years. Total up the $$$$ and it will stagger you and really shrink the checking account but I will have this system for many years and it will be a money maker in the long run.