1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ez dumper on personal truck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Sep 13, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

would an ez dumper make your personal pick up commercial? do you have to have commercial plates?
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Might depend on your state, but in the state of KS I did not have to have commercial tags on anything with a GVW of less than 26,000 pounds....i.e. my 13.5ft bed grain truck.
  3. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Here in Maine anything reg for 9000lbs or more gets a commercial plate.
  4. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think here in GA its 10000#.My truck did not require commercial plates.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

In Va it would not require commercial plates but my insurance company "state farm"
    would probably consider it a commercial vehicle. If I had an accident with a bed full of debris from a job and live in a condo or appt. then they would more than likely know that the debris did not come from my place and therefore have the possibility of getting turned down on the claim.

Just a thought for you if you were planning on getting regular insurance and not commercial but did plan on using it at times for your business.
    Sorry about getting off the topic a slight bit.
  6. sbatzold

sbatzold LawnSite Member
    from ny

I thought all trucks in New York had comercial plates?
  7. fga

what part of NY are you from? pick up trucks near you all have commercial plates?
  8. sbatzold

sbatzold LawnSite Member
    from ny

I'm in central new york. Yup most trucks have commercial plates, cheaper reg fee. You can apply for passenger plates if you are less than 5,000lbs from what the DMV site say's.
  9. fga

how is it cheaper? when i check the box for commercial, the next procedure is to charge me for the GVW of my truck, plus the fees. Personal plates are just the fees. Maybe the city has different policies then upstate.