1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EZ-GATE and BACK-SAVER gate lift

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper3, Oct 15, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone out there have these? I need some type of lift device, do to lower back problems and am in need of one. I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE ONE!!! I have not the time or the materials and to me I dont care about cost at this time in my life, just would like opinoins on these not home made ones thank you.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I know a guy that has one and his wife lifts the gate with 2 fingers, he can do it with one! I plan to make or buy one this winter for my trailer as they are well worth it, especially if you have back problems.

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Brian, I saw both at Expo 2000 and definitely thought the back saver was a better constructed and smoother operating unit. They had a special then for $200 for the show, I don't know how much they are now. Thanks,Lynn
  4. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Being an OPE dealer, we use our trailer quite a bit, for bringing out new equipment to a cust, to doing a demo and for picking up equipment from the box stores. Our trailer is 6x16 with an extended gate to decrease the "hump".
    This spring we purchased one and installed it and it made a world of difference. After using it like this for a while, it seemed like it was still too heavy, so we purchased another one. From not having one to getting one was night and day, then from having one to getting another was still night and day. With having two of them you have to pull slightly on the gate to get it to come down. To raise the gate just use a couple of fingers.
    We have the one from ez-gate.
    Hope this helps--it did for us!!
    Jeff in AL
  5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

The backsaver gate comes standard with springs for both sides of the trailer, nothing else to buy. Lynn
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have the Stainless E-Z Gate on my 5 foot high gate. It takes away about 75% of the weight. My 12 year old son can easily lift the gate now. I think the price was around $190. The Backsaver was $250.
  7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies, I think im going to go with the back saver brand due to my tailgate is 5feet tall 6.6wide and has a 8000gvw real heavy duty. Thanks for all thats responded and more opions welcomed.
  8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I like to just tough it out and throw that heavy gate up with good old fashioned back power! I think that contraption would get in the way when I have brush and other crap stacked up on my trailer. Of course it really bites when your back is hurting like mine was this spring. Oh well, once again I may reconsider and think about adding one of these things this winter.
  9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I got the stainless EZ-Gate in Louisville for $129. Took about 3 hours to get it installed correctly. I think the directions assume my gate is heavier than it is. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Why do extra work for no reason? I use the top of my foot to close the gate now.

BTW, I didn't go with Back-Saver BECAUSE it has things on both sides of the trailer. I have other things mounted on the trailer rails.

Barkley: It doesn't interfere with anything. I cut down a sweet gum tree that filled the trailer with branches and had no problem at all.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I still say I like mine the best. It's just like an EZ Gate, but stronger,(heavier spring cable and pulleys) and I have about 20 bucks wrapped up into it. I can't understand, with something so SIMPLE, why not just make one! :)