EZ Gate Lift Assist

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Nov 12, 2001.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Raising and lowering a 100lb gate 20 times a day obviously takes alot out of workers. I have seen the EZ Gate on a couple of LCO companies this year and was curious as to what everyone else thinks of them. They claim to reduce the strain of lifting and lowering by 80%.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

many people on here built there own. go to eric elm, a member on this sites web page at www.elmlawnsite.com
    he built his own and has pictures on his website.

3. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I copied Eric's, home made set up.

I just kick up the edge of the gate and grab it, then drop the pin in! Never have to bend over and pick it up again.;)

4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Where did you get the springs? I like the set up. I think I will copy it as well.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Scott I believe he said they were garage door springs. Check with Eric and he will confirm.

6. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

Can anybody post detail directions?

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

OH ERIC???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob4: :D

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

9. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had mine built by my fabricater (looks just like the ez-gate.)

Its just two 150lb garage door springs (they come with the cable)

two eye bolts (welded on the trailer and gate) to hold the cable on one side and the spring on the other.

The cable runs through the square bracket which holds two pulleys.(these were made on his lathe out of plastic)

Finally the springs were put inside a piece of tube for saftey.

The tubes were mounted on a few pieces of 1" sqare stock to keep the cable from rubbing on the tube

gate assist1.jpg

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cool! Mine looks just like yours, Todd. I drilled and bolted my eye bolts on, though. I also used a little heavier cable on mine. For the pulleys, I just bought a tackle pulley because I wanted one piece (not split) pulleys, and made my own bracket out of 1/4" plate steel, welded. (a little heavy, I know.) Works great! I just put my toe under the gate, give a little lift with my ankle, and my gate comes right up to me!:D I have about 20 bucks into mine, I think.;)