1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EZ-Gate vs. The Backsaver

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ksland, Mar 18, 2004.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

This seems to be a popular topic so I figured I would share my experiences with the two.

For starters I recommend these to EVERYONE who uses an open trailer with a gate. I have back problems and I am pretty sure they started from lifting trailer gates all day.

I have bought both the backsaver (thebacksaver.com) and the EZ-gate (ballard-inc.com).

The EZ-gate was $169 plus shipping and the backsaver $199 plus shipping.

The Backsaver:

Nice unit, I like its compact size and one piece design. I don't like the fact that its a painted unit (rust), it makes noises over bumps with the window down (spring vibrating). Lifts the gate (4 foot) well but the EZ-gate lifts a little better, could just be adjustment not sure. I think it has a slightly smaller spring than the EZ-gate.

Nice unit as well. I like its stainless steel finish (no rust) and it has a plastic insert to prevent spring vibration over bumps. Not quite as streamline sleek looking as the backsaver. Has a slightly larger spring and provides a little more lifting help than the backsaver. Again this could be adjusted differently but I think it is because of the heavier spring.

Bottom line:
    EZ-gate wins. Price is less ($30), installation is about the same on both units, but the EZ-gate will resist the weather better and does not annoyingly vibrate like the backsave does.

Picture of the EZ-Gate to follow, will post the backsaver pic also.

2. ksland

Here is the Backsaver:

Should also mention that both units do a great job, Even though the EZ-Gate would be my assist of choice, the Backsaver is still worth the money as opposed to no assist.

3. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the imput ksland i always liked the sleek look of the backsaver but i cant see spending the money heres mine

4. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I have a big tex landscape trailer with the four foot mesh sides. How could I put one of these units on my trailer. My gate is extremely heavy with all the reinforcing I did to it so I need a little help.
  6. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Ballard (EZ-Gate Mfg.) recommends 2 "kits" if your gate is over 180 lbs.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

ksland, Thank you very much for the comparison. Been meaning to buy one of these for years and just havent gotten to it. With my back getting progressivly worse I think its time.

Fuzzyone, Thanks for the link....gonna order one right now from J-thomas...best price ive seen.
  8. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you so much for your views and pictures of these products. Does anyone know if these can be installed on 4 foot high side rail trailers? Thanks!
  9. ksland

Ballard-Inc tells me those J-Thomas ones are made of different material. I am not sure I believe it, I will have to order one from them and compare. That is why they are less money they explained.
  10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Hmmm, not sure about the different material. It says EZ-Gate on the side of the stainless steel tube. What could be different about it. It's a couple of bolts, a spring, a tube , some wire and a piece of chain.

The directions look very simple.