Ez Trencher

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by greens1, Jul 20, 2001.

1. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering purchasing a EZ Trencher and I am having trouble locating information on them.

I would like to get the 8hp Honda engine, but their site only has it available in the ground saw model. I am looking to use this for trenching and bed edgeing, if the 8hp model can be used for both.

I would greatly appreciate any info or feedback anyone has on this product.

Thank's,
    Jim L

2. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

3. greens1

Thanks Rooster, but their site only lists the 8hp in the ground saw model.

I am hopeing someone can tell me if the Ground Saw model can be fitted with their other blades, to make it into a bed edger and narrow trencher as well.

Jim L

4. Jim,

Just something to keep in mind which should be a safety issue.

When first starting to trench, turning blade is exposed to open air. Hit ANY kind of rock, watch it fly. I put a couple dents on my truck because of this.

I think you would be better off with a chain drive type of trencher than a blade. I own both types of trenchers. My prefernce is my chain drive trencher.

John

5. greens1

Thanks John,

I appreciate the head up on the rock toss issue. I don't want to dent my truck, or my crew.

I have a chain type trencher, 4" wide X 5' Deep. It works great, but a 4" trench takes cosiderably longer to heal up than a 2" trench.

The other thing is, I want to be able to edge beds with it.

I would appreciate any further feedback on this equiptment, or other equiptment along these lines.

Thanks,
    Jim L

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Do any of your material or eqpt suppliers carry this brand?

That's how I got my Bed Edger, through my grass seed supplier. They also sell lots of small-engine stuff.

Mine came with a pair of goggles, and for good reason. But man, you can't beat the speed of the work, the nicely pulverized soil to rake back up against the edging, and the energy and frustration you save.

7. greens1

Stonehenge,

Unfortuneatly I have not been able to locate a dealer in my area where I could view or, perferably, demo the different models'.

I checked their website but their dealer locater did not work.

I believe you said, in a previous post,that your dealer had a bed edger with a 8hp Honda engine. When I went to the EZ Trencher website they only listed the bed edger as haveing a 6hp honda.

Was the bed edger you bought off the shelf or a special order?

Thanks,
    Jim L

8. Jim,
    How I handle the sod damage issue is just using a sod cutter before trenching. Roll it up and just get it out of the way. Just a thought.

9. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Mine was off the shelf -

They've been selling about 15-20 per year, and warned me "If you demo it, you'll end up buying it!" They were right.

I think they (the mfg) may also offer a 5.5hp version, but I think this supplier just figured with the soils we have here, the 8hp would do better and sell better.

10. greens1

Thanks for all the info. I will post when I buy one.

Thanks,
    Jim L