EZT vs separate pump and wheel motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cougarweeds, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Cougarweeds

Cougarweeds LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a ZTR to handle my 1 acre yard. I have been to the box stores and compared them to the lower end of the commercial / residential lines of Hustler, Snapper, Simplicity, and Bobcat. Most of the mowers I have seen are in the $4000 range with the major difference being pump wheel motor assemblies. One take is that it will cost you about $1000 to replace an EZT if it goes out whereas the cost to replace a Hydro pump alone is about 50% less. What are the other differences in these systems that I should take into consideration?

I have narrowed it down to the Snapper 350Z (separate pump and Wheel motor) and a Hustler Mini Fasttrak 42" (EZT).

I appreciate your feedback.

2. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

I would also consider the warranty as Hustler's have a 4 year residential warranty. I am not sure what the Toro is.

3. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

if i remember correctly, the 4 year warranty was only on the regular fastrak and not the mini fastrak. The EZT is the lowest grade integrated set up that Hydrogear makes and is a sealed non-serviceable unit. The IZT is a step up from that and can be serviced, the ZT2800 is the commercial grade integrated (still not as good as pump and motor imo). For a 1 acre yard you probably don't need the separate pump and wheel motor units, but I'd stay away from anything EZT. At the $4000 price point you should at least be able to find something with an IZT.

4. Cougarweeds

Cougarweeds LawnSite Member

The Hustler Mini Fastrak has dual EZT's and a 3 year warranty
    The Snapper 350 series has Dual 2800 sealed Hydros and a 2 year warranty

Other than the repair cost down the road is there any significant difference in performance from these units? I am also toying with purchasing a used commercial mower with the separate units if I can find one at this price point. I want this to be the last mower I purchase. I recently moved into this house and use a 3 year old Simplicity Pacer 34" but I am tired of walking. This mower is up for sale or trade.

5. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

Mowing 1 acre I wouldn't think you would put over 35-40 hours max on a ZTR per year. IMO either mower would last you a very long time if you maintain, clean, and service your unit well.

6. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I know everyone says the izt is non service able but that is just not true. I ulled mine ajpart this winter and whent through them. I was thinking they would be worn out but to my surprise they actually looked like thay had very little wear on them. . The big problem iwth them is they do not have a drain plug to change out the hydro fluid or a filter to keep it clean. Well mine now have a drain plug and are all back together. They actually seem to work better now that I took them apart and put them back together but only time willl tell.

7. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

a mini fastrak and mini Z (both 42"). One w/ whatever and one w/ the 2800 pumps. I have a few hundred hours on the Fastrak and use it to pull an aerator around...then it is a back up/my yard mower. It has been abused, left in the rain, and obviously strained.....but that bad boy keeps on going. So I'm not sure about how bad the lower end model pumps are. I've used it for over 30 yards for 2 seasons then upgraded last year.

My mini Z has about 300 hours on it and is running fine. I think you'll do fine w/ either....and I'm sure someone will want you to spend 10g's on something you don't need. :waving:

Peace,
    Gary

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Have you had a chance to check out the Scag Freedom series? They're really nice. I just picked up a 36" to use around my place. 3 year warranty on those, and they have the ZT2800 transaxles.

9. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I was donated an Ariens 1648 ztr about three months ago. According to the serial number is was made in 1996. I know it has the older transmissions and the original owner put this lawn mower through Sh*t. I got the unit running again, and it will yank the front wheels with no question. I plan on drsining the fluid and putting some fresh fluid in the tranny's, I just need to get one season out of it.

I guess it all depends on your budget. I have done weeks of research on ztr lawn mowers and still do not know which one I will buy. I was settled on Hustler until I seen the Bush hog ztr.

I also seen a Husqvarna 42" fab. deck, Kawasaki Engine and zt2800 tranny's for 3500.00 on eBay. Nice looking unit and I will consider this mower when I am ready to pull the trigger.

Good luck

10. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

The exmark phazer has zt2800s and they work fine. Only thing is they are very whinny.