F-150 4 PLOWIIN

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Blueclaw, Feb 3, 2001.

1. Blueclaw

Blueclaw LawnSite Member

IM IN THE MARKET FOR A NEW TRUCK AND LOOKING AT THE F-150 SUPERCAB IN 2WD IN 6 CYL. MY QUESTION IS IF I PUT IN THE LIMITED SLIP REAR AXLE AND PUT SOME WEIGHT IN BACK, CAN I PUT ON A PLOW AND MAKE SOME X-TRA COIN THE THE WINTER? ALSO NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE ON MAKE AND SIZE OF PLOW.
    BLUECLAW STEVE

2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

Hey,
    not to knock ya down but caps are considered yelling ;)

:) A company makes a verry lightweight plow called the Snowbear , if you do a search on yahoo you should find thier website, it can be used on 2wd trucks and vans, do a search here for "F-150", that might find you some answers also. :)

Nate

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think the 2wd is not the hot setup for NY,the excab makes it even worse by putting more weight on the front end,which is tough on parts and isnt any good for traction.If you were plowing just your driveway,Id say go ahead,and get a cheap manual angle plow,like the sno-bear.Any more plowing than that and get a truck with 4x4,and not an f150 excab,since there front ends are the weakest of the full size trucks.get a 3/4 ton if you are going to plow.

4. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome blue claw, I to would get a4wd.As far as the truck I would get one with a plow prep package and as far as know dodge is the only 1/2 ton ext cab with one. I own one and it plows great.If you want ford you will need a3/4 ton. As for plows these are the good one's fisher, boss,westerns and sno-way's and you want at least a 7.5 blade. Hope this helps.

5. waterchikn

waterchikn LawnSite Member

I have seen a 97 F-150 6 cylinder 4X4 plow snow before, it worked rather well, it wasnt' a supercab. I have an F-250 and it is a regular cab, it is 4X4 with a 5.8 V8, it plows snow real well. I guess if you are going plow light snow and not alot of it, you would be ok with the 2Wheel Drive.
    If not, just buy a snowblower instead of the plow. It might work better and save all the wear n tear on your truck....

Happy plowing.....

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

im pretty sure ford voids the warranty if you put a plow on a f-150. id go with a bigger truck.