F-150 plowing size?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by columbiaplower, Jan 7, 2001.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Im interested in getting another truck for plowing. Im thinking used. I want a ford F150 and want to know what kind i should get for COMMERCIAL plowing. i have heard that they are too small for commercial plowing and i dont think thats true. could u all recommend a truck model and plow for it that will fit my requirements. also any of u with a simalr set up please responed

thanks Nick
  2. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

The new F150's are not good for plowing. I would suggest a 250 or 350 or a GM 2500 or 3500
  3. columbiaplower

im looking at OLDER f150's
    and i want to add this to my above post
    i know i need 4x4
    and i heard that the f150 heavy half's are good for plowing
  4. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

I think that the older ones are better to use.
  5. plow kid

plow kid Banned

i have a 90 dakota 4x4 w/318 v-8 and a 7'6" snoway 25 series w/lexan moldboard, love it, but it eats up gas really bad 7-10 mpg with plow on and in 4x4, i am not a big time plow jockey but i plow about 30 residentals and 7 commercial lots, havent had a problem yet
  6. cwlo

cwlo LawnSite Member

I would also discourage you to use a f-150. I have a '93 F-150, with airbags installed in the front coil springs, and I think you could do a lot better. Using any 1/2 ton truck is borderline, and Fords especially are weak. However, you could probably do alright if you paired it up to one of the lighter built plows, but I;m not sure how well they would last in a commercial setting.
  7. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I plow with a 2000 F-150 ext. cab. I have a snow way 7 1/2 lexan. If you are looking for a truck and you don't have the F-150 don't get it. Go bigger. My truck is holding up fine so far but I've heard some very bad stories about what can go wrong. I have one problem with mine. Yesterday I checked my tranny oil. When I brought up the dip stick there was nothing on it. This is the second time this has happened. Go big or go home.
  8. columbiaplower

thanks pcs- i have a 250 already may just get another, jurys still out

anyone else ?
  9. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows LawnSite Member

my '88 f-150 runs 7.5 western just fine. short wheelbase, famous straight 300 cu." six, 5 speed OD trans, and the manual shift transfer case. I run 30 x 15 6 ply rated michelins. Load of wood on the back helps, but with low range, 1st - 2nd, 3rd gear, no problem. With chains on all feet it will bust through anything, or walk right over it. And of course belt driven Monarch Hy-Lo lift for the 4 way plow.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

skip the F150,the old ones are to weak,and the only new ones you can plow with are the lightweight plows.IF you want a 1/2 ton,buy a GM or Dodge,they both have much stronger front ends.