1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

f-150 v-8 w/ 2 ztrs & 16ft trlr?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigshow825, Nov 4, 2007.

1. bigshow825

bigshow825 LawnSite Member

i have a o1 ford 150 with 4.6 v8 and am going to be using it to pull my 16ft open trailer next season with 2 ztrs and hopefully a walk behind. is this going to be way to much for my truck? thanks for any info. oh yeah, the trcuk has 167,000 miles, a new driveshaft and two new rear axels.
  2. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

That will put alot of heavy wear and tear on that truck which in my opinion and somewhat experience would severly reduce the trucks lifetime. Before I bought the 2 trucks I have now I had the same truck with the same motor, I pulled a 48'' walk behind with a 60'' ZTR and it felt it. I also had a single axle 6.5 x 12 trailer. The truck pulled it but you knew it was there. I guess if you just really take it easy and aren't in a hurry you will be ok I know the daul axle trailer ride alot nicer then mine which I think is another reason why I felt it back there so much. Those 2 ZTR's are going to be heavy, does the trailer have brakes?
  3. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 99 f150 with the 4.6 and I have a 16' trailer. I think it is too much with a ztr and a walkbehind. It will do it, but to me it feels like to much strain on it.
  4. bigshow825

yeah i thought the same as yaw did, its getting brakes next week, its an old trailer, but id rather spend 528 buks to get the brakes on both axels as to buying another trailer, im currently looking for an older ford 1 ton to use for pulling. i love the one i have now and wana keep it as long as possible, thanks for yaws input, be easy.
  5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

It will work fine. I pulled my 16' 1900lb tandem trailer with two ZTR's on it for this entire season up until a month ago with an 87 S10 with a 2.8 V6. Seriously it will work, just take it easy.

I towed with that truck for three years with no problems related to towing.
  6. bigshow825

thanks for your input, yeah taking it easy is not guna be hard, also am looking into buying a gorilla assist lift for my ramp, so it action today on my buddies trailer and it's sweet, hope its reliable and long lasting.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Idk, I've always owned 3/4 tons, 6x12 single axle but I do load up to 3k in it at times, I love my d-2500 slt I bought a year ago used, technically there are always days I could use a full ton but 3/4 is good.

You might make it, but it's taking a chance... I'm really surprised to hear an S-10 making it, I ruined a Thunderbird V8 tranny pulling the 6x12 empty for about 50 miles. It's just that thing, the T-bird may not have been made for it, but it's only 1,000 pounds empty so it's not above a car's limits, but it was an older car and I'd guess the tranny was worn to a point and this put it over...
    It wasn't a problem in terms of power, that sports luxury sedan could've done 90-100+ with it LOL, but the tranny...
    Cost? They wanted 1,400 for a rebuild, that's likely still cheap when compared to newer vehicles.

Then I think to myself, are the transmissions from a 5.0 T-bird any different from the F-150's?
    Well, are they?
    The '88 T-bird I had used the AOD tranny, don't 1988 F-150's have the same AOD?
    Because the 5.0 Mustang used the same thing, as did the Cougar and the Mark, so why not the 5.0 F-150 too?
    It's always that thing, ford-lincoln-mercury, chrysler-dodge-plymouth, same body, same drivetrain, different luxuries and price.
    Maybe not, maybe they're slightly heavier duty, but either way 3/4 tons for me, always.
  8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

You asked for it :laugh:

I avoided wet roads at all cost. It really wasn't that bad. I probably put 12,000 miles on it with this setup and 20,000 before that with my 7x10 trailer and 1 ZTR.

Copy of My 260z 051.jpg
  9. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

ha well that changed my mind as to what u can pull. I plowd 2 seasons with a ranger and a 7ft with no problems. little trucks might not look like trucks for men but they do work