f-150 vs. 16' trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by M&B LAWN CARE, Jan 16, 2010.

1. M&B LAWN CARE

M&B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

can an f-150 pull a loaded 16' trailer?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

wow, what a question...what engine does the truck have? whats going to be on the trailer? weight? if its a V8 then it will pull it, but you also gotta be worried about stopping it. Give a lot more details..

3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I use a 2004 f150 5.4l to pull a 16 ft tandem axle trailer loaded with a ztr, walkbehind, etc.

4. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

He actually expects an answer to such a vague question? No engine mentioned, auto or manual tranny, enclosed or open trailer, no idea what is even being hauled on the trailer? WOW!!

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I pulled a 18 foot trailer loaded with equipment for years with a V6 powered F150 with a manual tranny. Did a great job and was good on gas.

6. M&B LAWN CARE

ok.ok.ok. geez sorry

it is a v6 4.2 open trailer
    push mower 21", couple of wb's
    automatic trans.

7. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

From my personal experience you will be fine. You wont win any records for speed, but will do good on gas.

8. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i use my 98 Frod Ranger 4X4 with a 4.OL V6 to pull my 17.5 Foot boat on a 20 Foot trailer. The trailer has brakes that really help but getting going and driving are no problem and stopping is not an issue with the brakes. with this being said i think you will be fine with your F150 and 16 Footer

9. M&B LAWN CARE

ok, thanks guys for all the advice

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I didnt mean to sound like an a**hole or anything, just couldnt really give advice without knowing a few details.