F-150 vs. S-10

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GrassInPA, Apr 6, 2005.

1. GrassInPA

GrassInPA LawnSite Member

I'm kind of stuck in a bind here on what to choose.

1990 F-150 - 300 I 6 Engine, auto, 4WD with manual hubs, regular cab with 6 foot bed. It used to be an old water authority truck and only has 58,000 miles on the engine. The guy selling it wants $1500 for it.

Older model S-10 - I haven't researched this yet, but looking at the 96 and 97 model year. It will have a 4.3 V6 in it and also have 4WD. As far as bed size goes, it will probably be the 6 foot also because of the extended cab.

As far as holding up to use, I do mainly just grass cutting and the occasional mulch job. Also, which one would be better suited to tow a small 4 x 8 trailer on it with a 48" walkbehind max? If you need any info please let me know. I greatly appreciate any help. :)
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with the Ford hands down. A full size truck will ride nicer and will pull a trailer a lot better. The 300-6 is a very durable engine and with only 58,000 miles it is only a fraction of the way through its life. $1500 sounds like a real good price, i'd buy it quick before someone else does.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I used an s-10 for yearssssssss and it done ok,I think the Ford fullsize will do you better and the ole 300 cyl-6 is a workhorse and lives forever
  4. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy that F-150! It's a steal for that price and mileage. The 300-6 is damn near indestructible.