1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

F 150

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Southern Lawns, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Have a chance to get a 93 F150 V8 2wd for a decent price.
    My question: I have a dual axel 14' Landscape trailer with a WB mower, a few trim mowers. 2 weedeaters, 2 edgers, saws and all the other little stuff that most people carry. I live in total flat land and was wondering from the guys out in the field all day if that truck has the guts it takes to pull that trailer for a few seasons of lawn and landscape work. Money is an issue so I'm not sure I could swing a 250 or 350. Please advise. Thanks
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine why it wouldn't, there's not all that much weight and it is a V-8.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

You should be fine with that truck/trailer.It is likely ideal since your towing on the flats
  4. visions landscape

visions landscape LawnSite Member

know some guys that use 1/2 tons in wichita and get along great with them
  5. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2000 F150 V8 automatic and pull more than that with no problem. It wouldn't be the truck itself giving you the problem it might be its age and the condition it is in.
  6. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Ford motors will run forever but their trannys suck! They are expensive to replace...on a ford only get a standard trans and have one guy drive it. Even on my aerostar which has 95K it needed a new auto trans, also a used F 150 with 40K on it I bought needed a new trans after 5K and I am not overloading my vechicles! Ford trannys suck! Great trucks bad trannys, ask me though what I drive and it's fords even for personal use
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I have 3 Chevys and one Ford. "My" truck, that is the one I drive to go give estimates in or do light duty in, is an F150. Not quite as new as the one you are looking at. It's an 88. It, too, has a V-8. But I wouldn't use it for daily landscape work and I definitely wouldn't using for pulling a trailer on a regular basis.

Several reasons why;

For one, not all V-8s are equal. My ford has a 351 ci (5.8L) engine and is fuel injected and more modern than any of the Chevys. But it doesn't at all compare to the power my Chevys have when carrying a load or going up hill. The chevy's with the 350s and good 4bbl carbs will go right up a hill, trailer and all, every day, with no hesitation at any speed you want. And the Chevy I have with the 402 Big Block really hauls arse! The ford is sluggish under the same conditions.

Two, F150s are not heavy duty trucks. They are light duty. Just like a C10 is for Chevys. Or a D150 for Dodge. They are made to haul light stuff around and do some light work in from time to time. But none of them are built for daily, heavy duty work. And even if you aren't doing daily heavy duty work now, you will be some time soon. You should really get a 3/4 ton truck with an engine that has good torque.

Three, if you go with this truck it will last you 1/2 as long as a good strong 3/4 ton will. From the engine to the frame, 3/4 tons are just built to do heavy, regular work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my F150. It's quick, good running, and fun to drive. But I wouldn't use it for heavy duty, regular stuff.

I guess it depends on what kind of deal you are getting on the truck. Just be aware that if you do get it, because you are getting a good deal, that it won't likely last you as long.

I speak from experience. The reason I no longer have any 1/2 tons in our work fleet is because they all broke down over time. I've gone through 3 of them. But the 3/4 tons runnning like champs.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a '95 F-150 5.0 that I pull a trailer that weighs around 2200 pounds loaded with. I have no problems at all except the truck creaks alot. This is a problem that Ford is aware of and they have released a factory service bulletin that addresses this issue. The creaking comes from a variety of places on the frame and is only a problem if the creaking is coming from the radius arm bushing. I do not plan to replace this truck for 6 more years.

If money is an issue then buy the truck. It has the power to pull your trailer assuming you don't drag race other grass guys.

In regards to the auto trans being junk there is nothing wrong with the AEOD. You will occassionally get a bad trans but all manufacturers let one slip by from time to time. The only issue with Ford trannies is the torque convertor. If you do not change the fluid on a regular basis it will develop a condition called <i><b>Torque Convertor Shudder</i></b> and there is a factory service bulletin concerning this issue.
  9. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the great information. Might make the deal tomorrow if all else checks out.
  10. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a used 94 F-150 4x4 5.0/V8, I wish I had never bought that truck, Maybe I got a lemon, but after about 2 months of pulling my trailer around, the transmission blew out on me, it was gonna cost me $1500 to replace it, so I traded it in on a 97 F-250 HD 5.8/V8. This truck is so much better, alot of power, no problem pulling my loaded trailer, etc. The gas mileage is even better. So, try to get a more heavy duty truck if you can. Learn from my mistake.