F-250 brake pad install - tools needed?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Roger, May 3, 2008.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I am planning to install new brake pads in my 2003 F-250 XL. I have not done a brake job on this pickup before.

Are there any special tools needed for the job? Or, will standard sockets (metric or SAE?), some pry bars, and other standard tools be adequate?

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

shouldnt need anything other then standard tools plus something to compress the caliper back with..

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

Standard tools is all you need...

Socket to remove the Caliper
    Small Pry bar to pop the old pads off

*** Use the Old pad and a C Clamp to compress the caliper back

4. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

i have a caliper compressor set i bought brand new for about 35 bucks but a big vice grip welders clamp works too i just dont like putting pressure on the backside of the caliper, personal prefference

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

If you are going to pull the rotors off to have them turned, you may need a BFH to get the rear ones off. Just make sure you use a dead blow or a block of wood instead of hitting the rotor directly with a hammer.

Make sure you pull the caliper slide pins, inspect, clean and regrease them. Make sure you use synthetic caliper grease. If they look worn, replace them.

Now would also be a good time to flush the fluid if you have not done so before.

6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the comments and advice. I was concerned that I would need a special Torx or large allen stub to take out the bolts. I think the rotors are fine -- not planning to turn or replace them.