1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

F-250 w/ Bad Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay ALC, May 30, 2001.

1. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I am new to the list but have been in business for about six years now. I have a 1993 Ford F-250 HD (regular cab, long bed, pickup style, 4x4, automatic tran.) with a V-8 460 in it and about 99,000 miles on it now. The truck, in the past year, has majorly decreased in gas mileage to an average now of about 4-5 mpg. This figure stays the same while pulling a mowing rig or not. I have replaced every thing I could think of to gain gas mileage; spark plugs, oxygen sensor, air filter...etc. Many of my friends here have even larger trucks (F-350's) with the 460 engine but they average at least 10 mpg. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated???? Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Archer
    Archer Lawn Care
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow, and I thought my gas mileage was bad!
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Have you scanned it for trouble codes? My first thought would be a MAP/BAP sensor failure. My Mustang had a BAP go bad and it would get 4-5 miles per gallon. What happens is it reads either manifold absolute pressure (speed density) or barometric absolute pressure (mass air). When they go bad they often are reading an incorrect pressure reading, resulting in the computer adding fuel.

There are other things it could be too. The fuel pressure regulator could be bad. If it is mass air, the maf sensor could be bad. The ACT and ECT sensors can cause a rich condition as well. But rather than wasting money you need to invest in a cheap code scanner to search for the problem.
  4. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

Thank You for the info. I forgot to mention that I had went and talked to our local Ford dealership today and they didn't want to scan it. Seems as though they really didn't want to help me, not to sure why? I thought I would post here and see what all you guys thought or had experienced in the past. Tomorrow I will head to the next closest Ford dealer which has a better rep around here.

Thanks Again,
    Jay Archer
    Archer Lawn Care
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'd be finding a dealer alright...........to trade that puppy off! Get a deeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll and you'll be glad you did.