F 350 V10 vs 6.0 diesel

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rsails, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I am looking at two f350 mason dumps.

one is 2005 with a V10 the other is 6.0 diesel.

the diesel is probably going to cost me more.

My question is for the long term which motor would you go with. MPG looks to be the same from what I can tell from different websites

2. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I would think the V10 would give you less problems then the 6.0 Diesel, only because i know that Ford had many issues with the 6.0 diesels and the V10s have proven to be stong engines. But im sure longevity would be with the diesel..Just my thoughts.

3. lil'dale

lil'dale LawnSite Member

I have a 6.0 in my excursion. Wouldn't trade it for the world. TONS of torque and 20 mpg on the highway, although you won't get that in a dump. I can't imagine not having all that torque and trying to haul a load.

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

(This was back in 06') My friend owns a transporting business and he bought a new F-350 dually w/6.0 to pull his car hauler and that truck spent more time at the dealership then it did on the road, also i was looking for a newer ford diesel truck (This was the beginning of 08) with the 7.3 because of the reliability of the engine. I went to test drive a few truck and one of the dealers was were selling the 6.0 diesel trucks & 7.3 diesel trucks side by side and selling the 6.0's for spit, as the dealer said to me we cant give these trucks away because of the bad wrap of the 6.0's. The same truck but one year older with a little more mileage but with the 7.3 was selling for $3,500 more then the 6.0... I test drove them because the were cheaper and out of the three trucks 2 of them ran like crap and wouldn't get out of their own way and the 3rd truck the dealer came and picked me and the salesmen up and had the truck towed back to the dealership because it quit running, also all of these truck had less then 95,000 miles on them..Thats 3 different trucks and 3 different dealers. I ended up buying a 00' F350 super crew w/7.3 power stroke and it has been problem free and its now pushing over 200,000 miles!

5. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris LawnSite Member

I have 3 V10 trucks in my fleet. Only motor problems associated with theses trucks are the passenger side manifold bolts.

6. lil'dale

lil'dale LawnSite Member

My 6.0 has 75,000 miles. Never been in the shop.

7. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Once again another person bashing a 6.0 that has never even owned one and just believes what everbody else says. All the guys I know with 6.0's love them ,nine trucks total an none of them have ever had any major problems..

8. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Mystic.

I owned a F350 with a 6.0, sold it with 115k miles on it, the only problem was the injectors went at about 60k.

Bought a F250 with a V10 and sold it 1500 miles later. That truck towing a skidsteer averaged 7-8mpg. Always had the pedal to the metal. Would slow down to 45mph on hills.

Yes the motor is great when it's not towing and it has more power then the V8 but it doesn't compare to the diesel at all.

I'm back in a F250 with a 6.0 diesel averaging 13mpg towing a skidsteer doing 65-70 up and down hills all day long.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I vote for the 6.0! I owned one and loved it.

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

2002 f350 ext cab lariate with dump I love it mileage is 7.5 with dump bed also everyone here argues torque and such but forgets to mention the rear end ratio is important. gas is still cheaper than diesel and v 10 parts are a dime a dozen versus buying injectors.