f-550 or LCF?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by P.Services, Apr 19, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

the rear end blew on my dodge so now im looking at a new truck to pull the 20' enclosed lawn maintenance trailer with. what truck would you guys prefer and for what reasons?

f-550 4x4 6.0 extended cab with a mulch dump

ford lcf v-6 diesel, backpack toolbox and a mulch dump

4x4 is nice but thats also one more thing to break, i will be fine to plow with 2 and i will have to learn to just keep it out of the mud. the lcf should turn on a dime and be a little better on fuel also. i really like the extended cab on the 550 to haul gear and guys though.

any thoughts and comments will be appreciated

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Why would you sink yourself into 40k worth of debt on top of your existing 25k worth of debt on you mtl? Why not spend 1k and rebuild your rear end?

Cabovers suck at pulling... they are made to haul not pull.

3. P.Services

4. P.Services

i payed cash for the ctl so im fine there. i wont buy new so $20k is the max. i can get a used rear for $1900. its a super rare rear so everyone says. and the engine burns 5 quarts a week and has 203k miles on it. i need a little dump truck and then after i pay that off i will buy a roll off truck.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

What he said, the 550 if you are going to pull stuff. The 550 will only haul approx 10,000 pounds, don't need a monster hoist. I don't like extended cabs on one ton sized trucks, it robs payload and can extend wheelbase. On my 350 I have two 30" underbody boxes on each side, can put alot of stuff in there.

6. P.Services

im not arguing but why do you guys say a lcf can pull?

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

If 20k is the max... you might not have a choice but to get an f550. I don't think you can find an lcf for 20k.

I think you would be much happier w/ the f550. I have 3 isuzu cabovers... and the f550 can double as your estimate mobile and pull much more comfortably.

I don't know what it is about cabovers, but they just don't pull as well and an one ton or f550. But if you are hauling on the actual truck and not pulling... I would much rather have a cabover. I haul my Cat 248 and dingo on my frr very comfortably.

Congrats on paying cash for the deere!!!:drinkup: You know you could run the dodge till it dies and pay cash for the f550.

8. P.Services

i have a few low mile lcf's in mind that i can get for 20. the dodge is about dead, the rear is gone the cab is rusted out the engine is on its LAST leg. i dont want to keep dumping cash into trash, i may fix the rear later and just use it as a plow truck but other then that shes kinda worn out. and that gasser doesnt pull very good.

9. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

The International salesman was showing us one of their cabovers and I did not think it was comforable and didn't like climbing in and out of the thing.

10. P.Services

i have never been in one so i wouldnt know. i was also looking into getting a new chevy or ford one ton single rear wheel pickup but i cant spend 40-45k on a fricken pickup!! thats crazy