F-650 Gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scagrider22, Dec 25, 2012.

1. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have an F-650 with a V-10? I am thinking about buying one and want some opinions from other owners or people who know somebody that owns one. Gas mileage is not an issue the truck will be driven around town and will not see much highway use. I want it with a regular cab and a 10' dump bed.

The truck will be used to haul a mini ex or skid steer to the job sites and stone/soil. It costs about $12,000 less than the highest horse power cummins at my local dealer. I believe the gearing is 6.30, how well does it tow with the v10, where I live it is very flat, not many hills.

We only drive the dumps about 15,000 miles per year so the truck rots away long before a diesel engine hits 200,000 so Im not looking for a truck I can put 400,000-500,000 miles on.

What do you guys think?

2. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

Cummins in a ford .... Stock?

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I believe the F650's come with the Cummins motor. Pretty wild stuff

4. exmark user

Really wow ??.... Also I didn't know they made an f450 and above gas motor if so must be rare at least on newer models?

5. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

makes no sense to me get the diesel

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

15k miles is above average for a passenger car and especially a truck. So i think its a bad idea. However i don't have first hand experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Cummins or Cat. I thought V10 was in a F550 or smaller, maybe even F450. Buy not the F650. I maybe wrong.

8. exmark user

Agreed I thought v10 was in 350 and below

9. scagrider22

Ford just started using the v10 about a year ago mainly to replace all the 8.1 Chevy moving vans.

10. scagrider22

15,000 miles in a year is nothing on a cummins, they are made to do that in one month.