F-650 Gas

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scagrider22, Dec 25, 2012.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Did you geta rough mpg yet? That's an incredible empty weight especially for that heavy duty gallon body. What are the dimensions on the bed? My truck is 14500 empty so off the bat you're hauling 2500 more

2. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure about the mileage, it's def not good... But that was expected. The bed is 10.5' long and the sides are 30" tall ( 36" gate) not sure how wide.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. scagrider22

6 mpg around town towing and hauling.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

ouch:dizzy:

5. scagrider22

The diesel isn't much better...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. fordsrule

fordsrule LawnSite Member

We were getting 4 to 4.5 mpg in the 09 Chevy 7500 with the 8.1 and 5+2 speed. It was set up with a tag axle and we were legal to 53000 with a tare wait of 21000. We probably grossed out around 80000 when loaded with material in the bed and Tri axle 25 ton trailer with brick and machines on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. F4rm3rj03

F4rm3rj03 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks! Very valuable for me.
    I'm considering replacing our C5500 8100 that gets around 6.5mpg. The thought of a slight mpg drop for more capacity is exciting. Especially for the price you paid!

8. scagrider22

I currently have a c5500 with the 8.1 and the ford is a way more capable truck. You will be happy with the ford if the Chevy does what you need it to do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Realize this is a old thread, but wondering how the truck is working out? Any issues, still have it?

Thanks,
    Ryan

10. scagrider22

Well I hit my mileage guess right on the dot, after 3 years of driving, it has 45k on it. Runs great no issues. Don't tell D.O.T but it even tows my 19k pound dozer no problem. Only thing that sucks is ford used really cheap paint on the fuel tanks, steps and battery box. They are peeling real bad and need painted, I might replace them with stainless steel.